Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
National
James Queally, Joseph Serna and Brittny Mejia

Dispute between two students leaves 1 shot at Palmdale high school

LOS ANGELES _ A dispute between two students led to a shooting that sparked panic and drew a massive law enforcement response to a Palmdale high school early Friday morning.

Deputies responded to reports of a person with a gun on the campus of Highland High School around 7:05 a.m. Friday, after a 14-year-old student allegedly shot another student in the arm, authorities said.

The injured student was taken to a local hospital in stable condition, and is "expected to make a full recovery," according to Capt. Darren Harris, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

"That student is going to be OK," he said.

The 14-year-old, who has not been identified, was later detained at a nearby parking lot, said Nicole Nishida, a sheriff's department spokeswoman.

A firearm was also recovered at the scene, though investigators did not describe the weapon.

Deputies had cleared the school and deemed it safe by 9 a.m. local time, the Sheriff's Department said on Twitter. Students will be transported home via school buses, Nishida said.

Palmdale Schools Superintendent Raul Maldonado described the person who had been detained as an "active shooter" in a brief statement issued Friday morning.

"We are all concerned about the safety of our children. It has been confirmed that earlier this morning, there was an active shooter on the Highland High School campus. Apparently, the person was already apprehended," Maldonado said. "I want to let you know that all of the Palmdale Elementary Schools were put on lockdown, and will stay on lockdown until the situation is confirmed as safe for our students, teachers staff and parents."

Shortly after 7 a.m., several students began tweeting that they could hear gunshots and urged other classmates not to come to the campus.

Terrence McCalister, 17, said he was walking up to the school with friends when someone ordered them to turn back and warned them about the shooting.

"I was just hoping everyone was all right," he said.

Dozens of parents and students could be seen near the high school, waiting for either updates about the shooting or to reconnect with loved ones after authorities determined the school was safe.

Deputies also responded to reports of a second shooting around 7:30 a.m. at Manzanita Elementary School, roughly seven miles from the high school, but found no signs of a shooting or victims there, Nishida said.

Agents with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were heading to the scene Friday morning, the agency said in a tweet.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.