
Gladys Berejiklian says she's disgusted by a report that a coalition colleague offered a woman money to have sex with him at NSW Parliament.
The NSW premier was asked about an ABC report that NSW National Party MP Michael Johnsen offered a sex worker $1000 to come to parliament for sex and sent the woman lewd text messages and an obscene video while he was sitting in the parliamentary chamber.
The report comes a week after the Upper Hunter MP went on leave and moved to the crossbench after allegations he raped the same woman at the Blue Mountains in 2019.
Mr Johnsen strenuously denies that allegation and has not responded to requests for comment on the latest ABC report.
The woman told the ABC she exchanged hundreds of messages with Mr Johnsen after responding to his online advertisement for sex in August, 2019.
Ms Berejiklian was asked about the latest report on Sydney radio 2GB on Tuesday.
"If that is correct I am absolutely disgusted," she said.
"For many women in public life when you know the challenges that exist - when colleagues or former colleagues do that type of thing- it is just beyond disgusting," she said.
Ms Berejiklian said police were investigating the rape allegation "so I can't really say more than that'.
"I want all workplaces and not just in politics, in all spheres of life, to be respectful to women and to treat them equally," she said.
She wanted people to acknowledge the subconscious bias that exists against women - "especially those in leadership positions".
"My job and the job of others is to lead by example and to call out what is unacceptable behaviour" she said.
On Tuesday Mr Barilaro said that while the investigation should continue without prejudice, new reports about Mr Johnsen's behaviour had led him to ask the Upper Hunter MP to "reconsider his position as an independent Member of Parliament.
"Following reports this morning I contacted Mr Johnsen to express the view that his position as a Member of Parliament is untenable," Mr Barilaro said.
"This is disgusting behaviour and will never be acceptable, nor should it be, and I'm calling for Mr Johnsen to resign from Parliament immediately."
Mr Johnsen released a statement on Wednesday evening last week saying he was "devastated" by the allegation that he raped the woman.
"I have voluntarily spoken with NSW Police and I have and will continue to fully cooperate with their inquiries," he said in a written statement.
"I am confident that any investigation will conclude that I am an innocent party."
The Nationals MP said in last week's statement that, "without admission", he was stepping aside from his parliamentary secretary role and would not sit in the Nationals party room nor the joint party room.
"I will be taking leave effective immediately for a short duration.
"As the matter is with the NSW Police I will make no further comment."
The allegations against Mr Johnsen are the latest in a string of accusations engulfing the Liberal Party, particularly in federal parliament, since former staffer Brittany Higgins said she was raped in a senior government minister's office in March last year.
- With Australian Associated Press