Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Paul Greaves & Sam Elliott-Gibbs

Diggerland theme park to close forever after Covid causes devastating staff crisis

Theme park Diggerland Devon will close for good after being ravaged by Covid-19, with bosses saying the pandemic has wrecked the business.

The popular attraction will shut its doors forever next month, it has been announced.

Parent company Diggerland UK has said in a statement that it will shut the site near Cullompton, Devon, on September 5.

It says the difficult decision was made following a brutal period for the park as they thanked visitors for their support since they opened, reports Devon Live.

Diggerland was recently voted as one of the top seven tourist attractions for families in the south west.

Sister parks in Kent, Durham and Yorkshire will remain open for business.

Diggerland Devon to close because of issued caused by the pandemic (Instagram)

Will you miss the diggers at Diggerland? Have your say in the comments

Coronavirus "had a detrimental effect on the business as a whole" they said - but the site in Devon which is "rural and relies heavily on tourism" has been worst affected.

It adds that the park has struggled with staffing levels and lost money "heavily" since the pandemic started.

A Diggerland representative said: "It is with deep regret that due to circumstances beyond our control we must close the Diggerland park located in Devon.

"This decision has most definitely not been an easy one to make.

Sister parks in Kent, Durham and Yorkshire will remain open (Instagram)

"Our other Diggerland parks located in Kent, Yorkshire and Durham will remain open with business as usual.

"We would like to thank all of our staff working at the Diggerland Devon park for their hard work and dedication over the last year and a half.

"It most definitely has not been easy but the vast majority of our staff have been amazing during this difficult time."

Bosses say they have lost a lot of money during the pandemic (Instagram)

The statement from the theme park added that staff will be in touch with customers who have booked to go there.

"All customers who have booked to visit the Devon park post the closure date, have either been contacted already or will be contacted very soon regarding alternative arrangements," the statement said.

"We would encourage those who want to experience the thrills of driving real diggers, dumpers and other construction machinery to come to Diggerland during the last few weeks of opening."

Recent Trip Advisor reviews claims a number of rides were not operating.

The park has apologised to the visitor who claims they were left 'in tears' following a day trip.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.