Diego Ferreira injured, out of Oct. 2 bout against Grant Dawson
The injury bug has affected an exciting lightweight matchup.
Diego Ferreira vs. Grant Dawson was scheduled to take place on Oct. 2 at UFC Fight Night 193, however, due to an injury to Ferreira (17-4 MMA, 8-4 UFC), the bout will no longer take place on that date.
Multiple sources confirmed the injury with MMA Junkie, but it is unclear if Dawson (17-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will remain on the card or if the fight will be rebooked at a later time. The specifics of Ferreira’s injury were not revealed.
The booking would have served as Ferreira’s third bout of 2021, as he looked to get back to his winning ways after dropping two straight against Beneil Dariush and Gregor Gillespie. Prior to this year’s skid, Ferreira was on a six-fight win streak, capped off by a second-round submission over former champion Anthony Pettis.
On the other hand, Dawson has incredible momentum behind him as he is on an eight-fight win streak following his lone career loss in 2016. Since entering the UFC in 2019, Dawson has finished three of his five opponents during his undefeated run with the promotion, most recently dispatching Leonardo Santos via last-second, third-round knockout.
With this bout off the card, the updated UFC Fight Night 193 lineup includes:
- Thiago Santos vs. Johnny Walker
- Antonina Shevchenko vs. Casey O’Neill
- Bethe Correia vs. Karol Rosa
- Jared Gordon vs. Joe Solecki
- Grant Dawson vs. Diego Ferreira
- Sean Soriano vs. opponent TBA
- Gaetano Pirrello vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade
- Kyle Daukaus vs. Kevin Holland
- Jamie Mullarkey vs. Devonte Smith
- Macy Chiasson vs. Aspen Ladd
- Johnny Eduardo vs. Alejandro Perez
- Alexander Hernandez vs. Leonardo Santos
- Misha Cirkunov vs. Krzysztof Jotko
- Alex Oliveira vs. Niko Price