Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Fashion Central
The Fashion Central
Michael Gibson

Diddy Still Faces Multiple Civil Cases, but one 2015 Assault Allegation has been Dismissed

Photo by Danny Moloshok/Reuters

While Diddy sits in jail waiting to be sentenced in his federal criminal case, he just got a win in one of the many civil lawsuits filed against him.

The case was brought back in February by a man who claimed Diddy drugged and sexually assaulted him at a Los Angeles nightclub in 2015. The plaintiff, identified only as John Doe, said he was a 23-year-old artist trying to break into the industry when he landed a gig at the club where Diddy was present.

According to the lawsuit, Doe said he was handed a drink, blacked out, and later woke up to Diddy engaging in “unwanted sexual contact” with him. He also alleged that Diddy threatened his career if he refused to go along. The complaint was filed by attorney Tony Buzbee, who has previously represented others accusing Diddy of similar misconduct, according to Yahoo.

Diddy Scores Court Win as Judge Dismisses Civil Assault Case (Getty)

But this case will not be moving forward. A New York judge dismissed the lawsuit, ruling that it was filed too late. The alleged assault happened nearly a decade ago, and the judge pointed out that at the time there was a five-year statute of limitations for this type of claim. A new law passed in 2019 extended that window to 20 years, but the judge said it doesn’t apply retroactively.

The plaintiff also named Diddy’s companies, Bad Boy Entertainment and Combs Enterprises, in the suit, but those claims were dismissed as well.

It’s the latest in a string of civil cases against the music mogul that have been tossed out in recent months. Still, Diddy is far from clear. Dozens of lawsuits remain active, with multiple accusers making similar allegations of drugging, assault, and intimidation.

For now, though, this dismissal is a rare piece of good news for him as he faces far more serious consequences in his federal criminal case. His sentencing is set for October 3, when he’ll find out how long he’ll be behind bars.

Sexual battery civil lawsuit against Sean "Diddy" Combs dropped
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.