Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Alexandra Sims

Didcot power station: Body found in rubble six months after collapse

A body has been recovered from the former Didcot power station six months after the boiler house collapsed.

Three men have been missing since the building in Oxfordshire partially collapsed in February.

The body has not been formally identified but the families of the missing demolition workers - Ken Cresswell, 57, and John Shaw, 61, both from Rotherham, South Yorkshire, and Chris Huxtable, 34, from Swansea - have been informed of the discovery on Wednesday, Thames Valley Police said.

The building had previously been too unstable to be approached and a 50m exclusion zone was set up around the site. 

The body of Michael Collings, 53, who was also killed by the disaster, was previously recovered from the wreckage.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said: "The safe recovery of the body will take place and the disaster victim identification process will commence.

"The person has not yet been formally identified and this will be a matter for the coroner.

"Our thoughts remain with the families of the missing men and we would ask that their privacy is respected during this incredibly difficult time."

Additional reporting by Press Association

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.