Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Jack Evans

Devastated bride left a widow two weeks after wedding as husband killed in car crash

The widow of a dad-of-two killed by a dangerous driver two weeks after getting married has spoken of her heartbreak.

Jevgenijs Kirilliovs, 39, died on November 1 last year when a lorry being driven on the wrong side of the road by Piotr Wierzbicki crashed into his Jaguar X-Type on the A45 near Daventry, Northants.

Wierzbicki, 39, of Sank, Poland, pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and was jailed on Friday for two years and eight months.

Mr Kirilliovs’ widow Giedre said: “Not only have I lost my husband but I have lost my soul mate, my best friend and the father of our two children.

(SWNS)

“Jevgenijs was the greatest person and all three of us never went a day doubting his love. He would always spend time with us, his family.

“We were always his priority. We lived our lives for our children.

“Since his death, all of us have struggled every minute of every day.

“We have gone through hell and back.

“It constantly haunts me that at the time of Jevgenijs’ death, I was not there to comfort him or share a goodbye.

“The loneliness and sadness we all feel is enormous.”

(GoFundMe)

Lead investigator, DC Ady Tredwell, from Northamptonshire Police, said: “I am pleased to see Wierzbicki sentenced today, though no amount of time could ever make up for the loss of the much-loved Jevgenijs Kirilliovs.

“The court was really moved by the clarity and honesty of Mr Kirilliovs’ wife’s statement this morning - it is so clear how much he is missed, every second of every day.

“Mr Kirilliovs had his whole life ahead of him – he had just got married, had two beautiful children, and lots to look forward to.

“Wierzbicki’s actions on November 1, 2019, cruelly took this from him forever.

“This has been a lengthy investigation which I am glad concluded in a guilty plea so Mr Kirilliovs’ family did not have to go through a trial.

“I hope they can take a small amount of comfort from this conviction and my thoughts will remain with them long after today.”

Jevgenijs’ sister-in-law Ausra Uzukauskaite said: "It's very tragic. That day he was driving to work was the first day back to work from his wedding holiday.

"He was the most amazing dad. A real family man. Everything was about his kids. He was also a very healthy man who loved the gym and looked after himself.

"He was so happy at his wedding just two weeks before.”

For pleading guilty, Wierzbicki was given a third off, making his sentence two years and eight months, half of which he will spend in prison and half of which he will spend on licence.

He was also disqualified from driving for 40 months.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.