Destiny has been one of gaming’s biggest live-service success stories for almost 12 long years. From late-night raids to seasonal grinds, millions of players built entire routines around Bungie’s sci-fi shooter universe. But now, that era is officially coming to a close.
Bungie confirmed that Destiny 2’s final major live-service update will arrive on June 9, marking the end of expansions and seasonal content for the long-running game. While the servers will stay online, the future many fans hoped for is no longer happening.
The announcement comes after months of uncertainty, falling player numbers, and growing frustration inside the Destiny community.
Why is Bungie ending Destiny 2?
Bungie revealed that Destiny 2’s journey as an active live-service game is ending after “The Final Shape.” In its official statement, the studio said, “it has become clear that after The Final Shape, we have reached the time for our shared worlds, and Destiny, to live beyond Destiny 2.”
The company explained that its attention is now shifting toward “a new beginning for Bungie,” including work on future games already in incubation, as per a report by Forbes and Bungie.net.
On June 9, players will receive Destiny 2’s final major content update. Bungie also confirmed there will still be a few additions before the end, including more tiered loot, a final Moments of Triumph celebration, and the long-awaited return of Sparrow racing.
Still, for many longtime fans, the announcement feels less like a celebration and more like the quiet end of a franchise that once dominated the gaming world.
ALSO READ: China wouldn't let Marco Rubio in, so he did something nobody in US politics has ever done
Did Marathon hurt Destiny 2?
Much of the frustration inside the community is aimed at Marathon, Bungie’s extraction shooter that reportedly pulled hundreds of developers away from Destiny 2, as per a report by Forbes.
The game’s reduced content plans had already created concern among players. Bungie struggled to maintain momentum after “The Final Shape,” and the long six-month content drought only intensified fears that Destiny was losing support behind the scenes.
According to the report, Marathon launched below expectations and finished its first season with player numbers still trailing Destiny 2, even during one of Destiny’s weakest periods.
That has fueled criticism that Bungie sacrificed its most successful franchise for a project that has yet to prove itself.
At the same time, questions remain about whether continuing Destiny 2 forever was sustainable. Some believed the franchise should have wrapped up its Light and Darkness saga and transitioned into a full Destiny 3 instead. But despite years of speculation, Bungie never officially confirmed such a sequel was in development.
What happens to Destiny players now?
Bungie says Destiny 2 will continue operating similarly to the original Destiny, which remains online years after active development slowed down.
The studio also said many changes in the June 9 update are designed to make the game “a welcoming place for players to return to.”
Still, the future feels uncertain. Weekly blog updates will reportedly enter “a form of hibernation,” and Bungie only teased that players would be “the first to know” if more Destiny news arrives later, as per a report by Bungie.net.
For many players, the disappointment comes from how abruptly the decline happened. Just two years ago, Destiny 2 was hitting some of the biggest peaks of its entire lifespan. Now, the franchise is entering maintenance mode with record-low player counts and no new expansions planned, as per a report by Bungie.net.
The report also noted concerns about Bungie’s future under Sony, especially after layoffs and growing financial pressure. Marathon now appears to be the company’s primary focus moving forward.
Bungie ended its message with a farewell to players who spent more than a decade inside the Destiny universe.
"We're proud of Destiny 2, the places it took us, and the legacy it has created. Because of you all, our universe is vast, built on years of shared stories, adventures, and victories. From the Cosmodrome to the Pale Heart to the Lawless Frontier, we have forged life-long memories and friendships with you all."
"We are incredibly grateful to everyone who made that journey with us. From the deepest part of our hearts, thank you, and we'll see you in the stars," the studio wrote.
FAQs
Is Destiny 2 shutting down completely?
No. Bungie said the game will remain playable after the final update.
When is Destiny 2’s last major update?
The final live-service content update launches on June 9, 2026.