The demolition of 23 houses in Wales' most polluted street has begun following several months of delays caused by the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
The row of houses on Hafodyrynys Hill, Woodside Terrace, Crumlin, have been earmarked for for destruction since they were purchased by Caerphilly council last year.
The street had become known as 'the most polluted in Wales' as thousands of cars race past their doorsteps on a daily basis, meaning nitrogen dioxide levels on the street were consistently breaching EU and world health rules.
You can find more of our stories about Caerphilly here
It was said that pollution is trapped between the houses and adjacent trees from vehicles travelling between Torfaen, Blaenau Gwent and Caerphilly county.
With thick black dust covering the walls and windows of the worst-affected houses, homeowners say despite their best efforts, due to the consistent volume of traffic it could never be completely removed.
They also claim the road was almost impossible to cross during busy times, however since January this year all of the properties have been vacant.


Workers from Wales and West Utilities could be seen preparing to remove asbestos and disconnect the gas supply to the properties on Monday morning, ahead of the scheduled demolition in the coming weeks.
One lane is currently shut on Hafodyrynys Hill, which is controlled by traffic lights on the A472, and will operate between 9.30am to 3pm for two weeks.
Caerphilly Council said it expects traffic delays as the A472, which begins at Hafod-Yr-Ynys Road, and is the only road that links the Ebbw and Afod Lwyd valleys other than the M4 (10 miles to the south), or the Heads of the Valleys Road (10 miles to the north).
In 2017 WalesOnline reported what it was like to live on Hafodyrynys Road. Many residents spoke of how life was unbearable on the street, with some claiming to feel like prisoners in their own homes.
The houses, now empty since January, can be seen above with boarded up windows and overgrown weeds and plants in the gardens.


When discussing how motorists who use the road will be affected, a council spokesman said: "We anticipate traffic congestion at the site, so motorists are urged to use alternative routes if possible.
"Further traffic restrictions will be required over the duration of the contract and these will be announced in due course. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by these unavoidable works.
"Letters will be distributed to residents living opposite the works, providing details of the scheme and relevant contact details for the agencies involved. The council will issue further updates over the coming weeks to keep the public informed."