Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Anita Beaumont

Demand for vaccines rise in Hunter after outbreak

Worth the wait: People queue for the COVID-19 vaccination clinic at John Hunter Hospital.

A HANDFUL of Hunter general practices are among 500 selected nationally to begin administering the Pfizer vaccine from this week. But many will wait until they have a "guaranteed regular supply" before taking appointments to ensure they have enough to offer second doses.

Newcastle residents are now waiting three months for the earliest available appointments at the John Hunter Hospital's COVID-19 vaccination clinic, and some GPs have told the Newcastle Herald there is "at least" a six-week wait with demand swelling after the latest Sydney outbreak.

It is expected the opening of the mass vaccination hub at Belmont in mid-July will alleviate some of the pressure, pending supplies.

Dr Ben Seckold, of Hamilton Doctors, said they were expecting to receive their first Pfizer doses from Friday. They will start by vaccinating their own eligible patients first.

"We have made no appointments, and are not making waiting lists until we get a guaranteed regular supply," he said. "It will take some planning because we have to ensure we have enough supply to give people a second dose three weeks after the first. The vaccines also expire 30 days after delivery."

Dr Seckold said they were also busy administering the AstraZeneca vaccine, with interest now coming from people aged under 60 too. Some - after counselling - had decided to proceed with AstraZeneca, while others had decided to wait for Pfizer.

"We are also booked quite heavily with second dose vaccines," he said.

It comes as NSW recorded 18 new locally-acquired cases of COVID-19 - two of which were in the community while infectious.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she hoped to provide more information about whether the Greater Sydney lockdown would continue on Wednesday.

Hunter New England Health physician Dr David Durrheim said there had been a "level of complacency" across NSW prior to the latest outbreak.

"I think the lessons from this outbreak will not be readily forgotten," he said. "I think everyone has been shown that without vaccination, there is no way out of this pandemic. This Delta strain has really got us all more concerned.

"It is so much more transmissible. What we are seeing overseas, in populations with very high vaccination coverage, is that when they experience another surge, the number of people requiring hospitalisations and the number of deaths has dropped down to very low levels. It is clear the vaccines work, and that both reduce the risk of severe illness and death."

To find your nearest vaccination clinic, check the Eligibility Checker.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.