Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Henry McDonald Ireland correspondent

Delivery driver shot dead in Belfast had been targeted twice before

Police tape
The spate of shootings were condemned as ‘barbaric and wrong’ by Arlene Foster and Martin McGuinness. Photograph: Daniel Leal-Olivas/PA

A delivery driver shot dead in Belfast was targeted by gunmen twice before, it has emerged.

Dan Murray was gunned down as he delivered food to a house in Lady Street in the Divis area of west Belfast at about 10pm on Monday.

It was the third shooting in the city in 24 hours. Earlier on Monday a 17-year-old was found in the New Lodge area of north Belfast with gunshot wounds to his legs.

Just hours earlier, a man in his 20s was also shot and wounded in the New Lodge area.

Security sources said on Tuesday Murray had been shot before in the Falls Road area and on Antrim Road in north Belfast.

The first minister, Arlene Foster, and the deputy first minister, Martin McGuinness, issued a joint statement condemning the murder of the Murray, who was in his 50s.

Speaking before political negotiations to form a new power-sharing government in Belfast, Foster and McGuinness said the shootings over the past few days were “barbaric and wrong”.

The Sinn Féin MP for West Belfast, Paul Maskey, said he believed “criminal gangs” were carrying out armed actions in his constituency. “They need to be removed from our streets and anybody who has information, I believe, has a duty to come forward with that and give it to the police,” he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.