Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
Politics
Andy Philip

Delayed sick kids hospital will not open until January next year

Work on the troubled and delayed children's hospital in Edinburgh will not be finished until the end of January next year.

Scottish Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said there was now a "confirmed timeline" for the facility which was supposed to open in July 2019.

The January 25 deadline was announced at Holyrood today after a report last month revealed a mistake in a spreadsheet several years ago contributed to the long wait.

But the saga was branded shameful in parliament in a sign of frustration and anger at rising costs and the impact on patients.

Freeman originally halted progress on the Royal Hospital for Children and Young People's move from the centre of Edinburgh after final checks revealed safety problems with the ventilation system within the critical care department of the new building.

A review commissioned for NHS Lothian found a spreadsheet in 2012 incorrectly stated air change rate in critical care rooms should be four changes per hour, rather than 10 – with "human error" blamed for this.

Freeman warned MSPs in May the coronavirus pandemic could "adversely affect" the timeline of Autumn 2020 for fully opening the building.

The Health Secretary stated today: "We now have a confirmed timeline that work will be completed in full on January 25, 2021."

Lib Dem health spokesman Alex Cole-Hamilton (Supplied)

She said a number of children's outpatient services had now moved to the new hospital site in Little France, in the south east of Edinburgh, with neurology and orthopaedics services now based there, along with a number of administrative support staff.

Freeman said: "Despite the impact of Covid-19, positive progress has been made with the Department of Clinical Neurosciences, including Neurophysiology and Diagnostic Radiology, moving in May as promised and the majority of outpatient services moving in early July.

"We now have a confirmed date for safe completion of the final areas of the new Royal Hospital for Children and Young People of January 2021.

"This is good news and I am very grateful to everyone for all of their work. This final move, like the earlier ones, will be planned with the full involvement of staff and communicated clearly to patients and families."

Scottish Lib Dem MSP Alex Cole-Hamilton said: "This update reveals the saga of the Sick Kids hospital move is set to drag on for many more months.

"While it was inevitable Covid would have an additional impact, ministers should be ashamed by the long succession of delays and the astrononmical cost of mismanagement.

"These failings run into the tens of millions of pounds and families have been deprived of what should be a world class custom built hospital when we could have used it most. 

"The Health Secretary must ensure this latest deadline isn't missed and be entirely transparent about the final cost of the countless mistakes."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.