Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Alice Richardson

Debate over controversial town centre redevelopment plans tonight - despite them being approved last month

Plans for Wigan’s town centre’s redevelopment are finally set to be debated tonight – despite the plans being approved last month.

Proposals from Wigan council and developers Cityheart Limited for the Galleries shopping centre and market will finally be discussed by all councillors at this evening’s full council meeting (Wednesday December 8).

The plans include the demolition of much of the shopping centre and market to make way for up to 464 homes, a hotel and a ‘multimedia’ centre with a cinema, bowling alley and indoor mini golf, a new market hall with traditional stalls, modern retail units, co-working spaces, small offices and a contemporary food hall.

READ MORE: "She thought she was fine": Women caught drink-driving after 'misjudging how much wine they had sank' at parties

The proposals, however, have already been approved by Wigan council’s planning committee – back on November 2.

In September, Labour’s Wigan MP Lisa Nandy called for ‘clear committments’ made to holding a full council discussion about the plans to be honoured and more than 5,000 people also signed a petition calling for the controversial plans to be paused.

The market hall will be given a 'more central position' in Wigan town centre as part of The Galleries overhaul (Wigan Council)

The MP said she was given assurances earlier in 2021 that all councillors would get their chance to have their say on the plans in a full council debate.

But at the time, Wigan council’s monitoring officer ruled that, according to council policy, the matter could not be debated at full council while there was a live planning application regarding the plans.

Then, Conservative group leader Michael Winstanley didn’t accept this decision.

He said: “I am receiving more and more complaints from residents across the borough about the high-handed manner in which the council are dealing with this very contentious plan.

“It is quite clear that the current plans do not enjoy the support of the people of this borough and urgently need to be reconsidered before it is too late and Wigan town centre is destroyed forever.”

Coun Winstanley made it clear in September he intended to resubmit the motion – which his party has now done.

But now the live planning application has been dealt with, and a decision to approve the plans already made.

Wigan Town Hall (Local Democracy Reporting Service)

Community group, Friends of Wigan Town Centre, has previously slammed the plans as a ‘surprise’ to the community and added ‘all attempts to open dialogue have been blocked’ by the council.

In response to the concerns, a council spokesperson said: “Ensuring people are able to have their say on significant developments, like the Galleries, is very important.”

It is understood the comments and objections received were considered as part of the planning decision-making process at the November 2 meeting.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.