Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Attacks in Tunisian Capital

Tunisian security forces gather at the site of an attack in the Tunisian capital's main avenue Habib Bourguiba on June 27, 2019. (Photo by Fethi Belaid / AFP)

The ISIS terrorist group claimed on Thursday responsibility for the two suicide attacks on security forces in the Tunisian capital earlier in the day.

The first suicide bomber targeted a police patrol in Charles de Gaulle Street in central Tunis. One police officer was killed and at least one other as well as three civilians were wounded, the Interior Ministry said.

Shortly afterwards, a second bomber blew himself up near a police station in the al-Gorjani district. Four people were wounded, the ministry said.

Heavily armed police cordoned off the locations of the attacks, one of which was about 200 meters away from the French embassy. Reuters witnesses saw people rushing away from the scene, while the body of one suicide bomber lay on the ground.

Interior Ministry spokesman Sofian Zaak said the attackers had not yet been identified, and he called on the public to show strength and not panic.

Last October, a woman blew herself up in the center of the capital Tunis, wounding 15 people including 10 police officers in an explosion that broke a long period of calm after dozens had died in militant attacks in 2015.

Security has improved since authorities imposed a state of emergency in November 2015 after those attacks - one at a museum in Tunis and another on a beach in Sousse. A third attack targeted presidential guards in the capital. ISIS claimed responsibility.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.