Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Jonathan Coles

Deadly junction where eight cyclists have died 'should have been fixed two years ago'

A deadly junction which recently claimed the life of an eighth cyclist was supposed to have been fixed - two years ago.

More than £12million was allocated to upgrade the Holborn gyratory in March 2019 as part of a wider Transport for London (TfL) scheme.

But, to date, the work has not been completed - forcing cyclists to continue to face the perilous intersection on a daily basis.

Dr Marta Krawiec, 41, was killed at the accident blackspot in north London in August.

She was on her way to see patients when she collided with a lorry at the junction of Theobalds Road and Southampton Row.

Do you have a view on this story? Let us know in the comments below.

Dr Marta Krawiec, 41, tragically died in an accident in August (MET POLICE WS)

The paediatrician is the eighth cyclist to die on the gyratory since 2008 - despite repeated warnings from coroners and campaigners.

TfL announced two years ago that millions would be given to its Liveable Neighbourhoods scheme in Camden.

A portion of this cash injection was allocated to remove the gyratory, named as "one of London's most intimidating junctions".

It was said that "protected" cycle lanes would be built to increase safety - but this still has not happened.

TfL said the project was paused when the pandemic hit to turn the cycling network "into a London-wide response to coronavirus ".

A gyratory, by design, encourages the movement of traffic across lanes - making them hazardous terrain for people on two wheels.

Since 2008, the Holborn route has seen seven other cyclists killed.

They are:

  • Alan Neve, 54, 2013

Mr Neve was killed at the junction of Kingsway and High Holborn on July 15

He worked in auditing for PRS for Music and lived in Poplar.

Lorry driver Barry Meyer, 53, was jailed for three-and-a-half years in 2015 after admitting causing death by careless driving.

  • Francis Golding, 69, 2013

Mr Golding was critically injured by a coach at the junction of Vernon Place and Southampton Row on November. He later died in hospital.

Named as one of the UK's leading architectural experts, glowing tributes were paid by his peers in the aftermath of the tragedy.

  • Federica Baldassa, 26, 2015

Federica Baldassa had been out celebrating a new job (National)

Ms Baldassa was pulled under the wheels of a lorry while cycling on Bloomsbury Square on February 6.

A fashion buyer, the Italian national had been out toasting a temporary role becoming permanent when she died, an inquest heard.

  • Dr Peter Fisher, 67, 2018

Dr Peter Fisher - a doctor to the Queen - was killed in 2018 (facultyofhomeopathy.org)

Dr Fisher was killed by a lorry near to Newton Street and Southampton Place on August 15 - National Cycle to Work Day.

He served as a homeopathic physician to the Queen for more than a decade, a field in which he was known as a "world leader".

A driver was questioned by police at the scene but was not arrested.

  • Wan-Chen Chang McGuiness, 31, 2008

Ms McGuiness died in an accident with a lorry on Southampton Row on September 24.

A Taiwanese national, she was married and lived in Hackney.

A driver was questioned by police at the scene but was not arrested.

  • Maria Fernandez, 24, 2009

Ms Fernandez died in a collision, also with a lorry, at the Holborn Circus junction on June 12.

Argentinian-born, she was a PR student at the London College of Communication and lived in Stepney Green.

A lorry driver was questioned but released without charge.

  • Dorothy Elder, 23, 2009

Ms Elder suffered a crushed pelvis in a crash with a bus at the junction of Theobald’s Road and Southampton Row on November 12.

She died from her injuries nearly two weeks after. A fashion student, originally from Plymouth but living in Whitechapel, she was described as "beautiful both inside and outside" by pals.

A driver went on trial but was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving.

It was Mr Neve's death sparked the first of many mass demonstrations by cycling campaigners - who are still frustrated by the lack of progress.

Simon Munk, of the London Cycling Campaign, said: "Progress on junctions known to be deadly for years is far too slow.

"When junctions are improved, it's often just one arm, when every arm is dangerous.

"If this goes on, more people person cycling or walking through those junctions will inevitably be killed or seriously injured.

"Politicians across London - the Mayor and borough leaders - must take urgent action and stop putting other concerns above people's lives.

"Without that, the Mayor's vision of a London free of roads fatalities by 2041 will be an impossibility.”

Sam Monck, TfL's Head of healthy streets delivery, said: "Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Marta Krawiec, who was tragically killed while cycling in Holborn.

"Every death on London’s streets is one too many and we’re committed to eliminating all deaths and serious injuries as part of our Vision Zero approach.

"We're determined to make all roads safer and are working closely with Camden Council on how to do this in Holborn as soon as possible."

Councillor Adam Harrison, cabinet member for a sustainable Camden, said: "We wish to send our condolences to the family and friends of Dr Marta Krawiec, who tragically lost her life.

"Any road death is one too many. Improving safety for all road users is paramount for Camden.

"Over the last year we have made many changes as part of our efforts to reach ‘Vision Zero’ of no deaths or serious injuries on London’s roads.

"But we must still do more and this is a stark reminder that this work is urgent and we must redouble our efforts.

"We are working with the police and Transport for London and will await the findings of any investigation into the circumstances that led to this fatality."

Dr Marta was killed on August 4, at around 8:50am.

Police are still appealing for witnesses and anyone with information should 101 or 0208 246 9820, quoting CAD 1726/04Aug.

A provisional inquest date has been set for January 19 next year.

Sign up for our daily newsletter to keep up to date with all the essential information at www.mirror.co.uk/email .

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.