Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Dublin Live
Dublin Live
National
Cormac O'Shea

DCU issues statement surrounding Coronavirus speculation on campus following hoax videos

Dublin City University has become the second Irish college which has been forced to issue a statement regarding a suspected Coronavirus case on their campus.

Rumours were fuelled online when pictures and videos started circulating claiming that a case had been identified on campus.

The North Dublin university, which has over 15,000 students, said late on Monday night that there has been "no confirmed case of Coronavirus on campus". 

However, bosses at the university have reassured people that they are following precautionary guidelines at the moment but there has not been a case.

A DCU spokesperson said: " Images and video have been circulating this evening on social media, accompanied by speculation and rumour regarding the health of an individual located at DCU.

"DCU is following all recommended HSE protocols in light of the arrival of the coronavirus in Ireland. Any measures taken at this stage are precautionary and in line with best practice.

"At present there is no confirmed case of coronavirus on campus. The safety and well-being of the DCU community is, and always will be, our highest priority.

"We will continue to take account of all official advice provided to us and we will keep the community updated if the situation changes.

Last week a fake coronavirus email was circulated amongst students in Cork Institute of Technology claiming that student accommodation had been put on lockdown due to a case.

CIT Student Union responded to the speculation and assured students that it was a fake email and there was no need to be alarmed.

A post on the students’ union’s Facebook page said:“CIT Students’ Union has received numerous queries regarding a fake email about the coronavirus circulating in Parchment Square Accommodation.

“I have contacted parchment Square management and they have confirmed that this is fake news. The coronavirus is not in Parchment Square and there are further investigations into who has sent the fake email.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.