Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Dan Haygarth

Dangerous drivers whose excessive speeds led to tragedy on the roads

This week saw two drivers jailed at Liverpool Crown Court for causing deaths by dangerous driving.

Nasrin Saleh, 26. Saleh was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court on Monday (June 5). On March 17, she pleaded guilty to causing the death of passenger Luqman Mehboob by dangerous driving.

Prosecuting, Arhur Gibson told the court that Luqman Mehboob was the passenger in a Volkswagen Golf GTI driven by Saleh that crashed into the roundabout in Knotty Ash on October 10, 2021. He died at the scene.

READ MORE: Drunk burglar fell asleep for four hours but escaped wearing victim's jumper

On Wednesday, Shaun Tinsley, from West Derby, was jailed after crashing into Wirral man Paul Loller's vehicle "like a missile" on the M62. He then careered into the central reservation and fled on foot, leaving the innocent 61-year-old dying at the scene.

They are among a number of people who have been jailed at the region's courts in recent years for causing death by dangerous driving. Here, we look at some of their crimes.

Baby-faced tearaway who dealt drugs and kept guns became killer driver

Shaun Tinsley, 28, had pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving (Cheshire Police)

Shaun Tinsley appeared at Liverpool Crown Court on June 7, when he was sentenced to nine years and four months behind bars for killing a 61-year-old man, from Wirral, on the M62. Tinsley's full criminal record, which stretches back to his youth, was revealed in court.

The now 28-year-old, of Deysbrook Way, West Derby, had a whopping 21 previous convictions for 36 offences. In previous ECHO articles, Tinsley's 'baby-face' mugshot was shared when he was jailed in 2014 for his part in a Merseyside-based drugs gang who trafficked heroin, crack cocaine and cannabis to Cumbria.

After being released, his home was then raided by Matrix as part of a crackdown on gun crime. Merseyside Police recovered a silver revolver loaded with one round and a 9mm Luger pistol with a number of rounds inside, as well as an additional three live rounds and one spent round.

Tinsley was jailed for six years in September of the same year after admitting possession of firearms and ammunition. He was also convicted of dangerous driving, driving without a licence and driving without insurance in November 2010.

Now Tinsley will serve more years behind bars, after he pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, causing death by driving while uninsured and causing death by driving while disqualified as well as failing to stop and failing to report the collision.

Liverpool Crown Court heard Tinsley was driving a grey 16-plate Mercedes CLA 180 at "excessive speeds" on the eastbound carriageway of the motorway near to Croft Interchange in Warrington when he crashed into Mr Loller's silver Skoda Fabia shortly before 3.45am on Saturday, April 29.

However, rather than stop and help the driver, Tinsley chose to flee the scene and made off on foot. Mr Loller died from his injuries in hospital.

Following his sentencing, Sergeant Russell Sime of the serious and complex collision investigation unit, said: "Tinsley’s selfish and cowardly actions resulted in the death of an innocent man, and I welcome the sentence that has been handed to him. He caused this crash, but rather than stop at the scene to help the other driver and face the consequences of his actions, he chose to flee.

"He then went into hiding in an attempt to evade justice. Thankfully as result of our investigation he has now been held accountable for his actions.

"I hope in some way the sentence that has been passed down by the courts to Tinsley will help bring some comfort to the victim’s family. Our thoughts remain firmly with them as they will continue to deal with the devastating outcome of this heart-breaking incident every day."

READ MORE: Baby-faced tearaway who dealt drugs and kept guns became killer driver

Speeding drug dealer killed Everton fan at 100mph in Audi then blamed victim

Jack Pearson killed another driver at 100mph then blamed his victim. (Liverpool Echo)

Speeding cocaine dealer Jack Pearson killed a young Everton fan at 100mph then blamed his victim.

Phillip Caine, 23, known to friends as Phillie, died in a horrific crash in Queens Drive, Walton on January 25, 2019.

Everton supporters later paid tribute to popular Mr Caine with a minute's applause at a home game at Goodison Park.

His killer, Jack Pearson, was awaiting trial at the time of the crash for an earlier allegation of dangerous driving, which also involved speeding.

But after hitting Mr Caine's Ford Fiesta in a "borrowed" Audi S3 Quattro, he lied to police, claiming he was only doing 40mph and Mr Caine "pulled out" on him.

Pearson told police he was the driver and had been doing 40mph, before he and his friends were taken to hospital.

Mr Dudley said: "It is fair to say that the defendant was distraught at the hospital, he was repeatedly asking the police if the other driver was okay and whether there had been any mistake."

Judge Stuart Driver interjected: "He may have been distraught at the hospital, but when he was interviewed a couple of months later, he lied to the police, saying he was doing 40mph, and he in part blamed the deceased."

Pearson, 28, of East Prescot Road, West Derby, later admitted causing Mr Caine's death by dangerous driving.

His previous convictions include careless driving , relating to an incident in September 2018 when he was initially charged with dangerous driving, and possessing cocaine with intent to supply.

Pearson was jailed for six years.

Jailing him for six years, Judge Stuart Driver, QC, said: "There was no reason for you to drive fast.

"You did it because you wanted to drive a new, borrowed, high speed car, regardless of the danger that you caused to others, doing so for your own pleasure."

READ MORE: Speeding drug dealer killed Everton fan at 100mph in Audi then blamed victim

Mum high on nitrous oxide killed friend in horror crash after driving at 103mph

Nasrin Saleh was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court on Monday (June 5) (Merseyside Police)

A woman has been jailed for four and a half years for causing death by dangerous driving after a fatal collision in Knotty Ash in 2021.

Nasrin Saleh, 26, of Colville Street, Wavertree, was sentenced on Monday (June 5) at Liverpool Crown Court.

On Sunday 10 October 2021 at around 4.45am, Nasrin was driving a car at 103mph after inhaling large quantities of nitrous oxide when she crashed into the roundabout on Pilch Lane and East Prescot Road.

The passenger, 28-year-old Luqman Mehboob, was killed as a result of the collision.

As well as a prison sentence of four and a half years, Saleh was also disqualified from driving for six years and three months and will be required to take an extended driving test when eligible.

Detective Sergeant Kurt Timpson, Lead Investigating Officer for Merseyside Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit said: “This was an incredibly reckless and dangerous incident that tragically led to the death of Luqman Mehboob. The grossly excessive speed and use of nitrous oxide in this case is shocking and will never be tolerated. Our thoughts remain with Luqman’s family, who continue to be supported by specially trained officers.

“No sentence will or can ever reflect the loss of a life and Luqman's family and friends continue to live through the pain and grief of his death. The family would ask that their privacy is respected at this time.

“Any death on the road causes a huge amount of lasting grief for the families of victims. We are committed to working with our partners to prevent deaths on our roads, by way of education and enforcement.

“Every death and serious injury on the road is a preventable tragedy and yet, on average, five people die every day on the roads in the UK.

“We therefore fully support the Road Safety approach, Vision Zero, as no death or serious injury is acceptable on our roads and we will work together with our communities to minimise risk”.

READ MORE: Mum high on nitrous oxide killed friend in horror crash after driving at 103mph

Driver who killed dad-to-be has 'unduly lenient' sentence extended

John Frazer Yates, 28, of no fixed abode, but from North Wales, had his prison sentence extended (Cheshire Police)

A dangerous driver who killed a dad-to-be before fleeing the scene had his prison sentence extended.

John Frazer Yates, 28, of no fixed abode, but from North Wales, had his original prison term quashed and is now serving 11 years and three months in jail after the Court of Appeal determined his initial sentence was unduly lenient. The court heard how after midnight on November 15 2022, Yates was travelling northbound on the M6, between junction 20 and 21.

Temporary roadworks, which had a speed limit of 50mph, forced Yates to move into a single lane of traffic. But due to the excessive speed Yates was travelling at, which experts calculated to be 128mph, he crashed with a vehicle driven by a third party before hitting St Helens man Christopher Smith's car.

Yates got out of his car and fled the scene, leaving Christopher for dead. He was arrested several hours later and refused to provide his details or a breath sample. Once Yates was taken to the hospital, he failed to provide a blood sample.

Yates pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and failing to provide a sample. He was sentenced to eight years and three months at Chester Crown Court on January 20, 2023. Yates was also banned from driving for 12 and half years

His sentence was referred to the Court of Appeal for being unduly lenient and on Thursday, April 20, the court increased Yates sentence to 11 years and three months.

The Solicitor General, Michael Tomlinson KC MP, said: “John Frazer Yates was travelling at dangerously excessive speeds and through his reckless actions caused the tragic death of another motorist. The offence was aggravated by him callously fleeing the scene not thinking he would be picked up by the CCTV cameras.

“I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to Christopher Smith’s family and I welcome the court’s decision to extend Yates’ sentence in what were truly tragic circumstances.”

Christopher's family paid tribute to the dad-to-be, they said: "Christopher was a loving son, brother and uncle, and he was devoted to his partner Mandy. The couple were awaiting the arrival of their first child, and Christopher was extremely excited about the prospect of becoming a father himself.

"Christopher was very close to his family, and nothing was ever too much trouble for him in regard to his friends. He loved to spend time with Mandy and working to provide for her, and also enjoyed watching and playing football.

"Christopher will always be remembered for his great sense of humour. Following his death Christopher has donated his organs so that others can live on."

BMW driver ploughed into dog walker, 74, at double the speed limit

Jason McGuire (Merseyside Police)

A man who killed a dog walker was driving almost double the speed limit, a court heard.

Jason McGuire, 33, of Cockshead Road, Liverpool, appeared at Liverpool Crown Court on Monday, December 12, 2022 for sentencing.

The court heard that Alan Williams, 74, and his pet dog, Sam, who he was walking at the time, both suffered “multiple and catastrophic injuries” and died at the scene as a result of the crash.

McGuire was driving westbound in a rented BMW, in the outside lane, whilst Mr Williams and his dog were crossing from the South to the North side of the road.

The crash took place at 5.45pm on Childwall Valley Road, around 70ft from a pedestrian crossing, on November 23, 2020.

BMW experts who analysed the crash data, found that McGuire had accelerated from 39mph to 55mph and was travelling at 58mph at the point of collision, despite the 30mph speed limit on that road.

The Police Collision Investigator found that though the crash took place after sunset, all street lights were working and the weather was clear, meaning visibility was good.

Mr Bisarya, prosecuting, explained that a witness, Mr Peter Carruthers noticed the BMW and assumed it was an unmarked police car because of the high speed it was driving.

Dashcam footage from Mr Carruthers was shown in court, and clearly showed McGuire undertaking Mr Carruthers and continuing at speed down the road. It also showed no brake lights appeared on McGuire’s vehicle.

Another driver, Mr Gareth Jones, who witnessed the collision, was overtaken by McGuire and said in a statement read out by the prosecution, that he “could see the pedestrian was going to be hit”, and “that the black BMW was not breaking”.

A passer-by, Mr Dimitris Farmakis stopped at the scene and called his son Christopher, a Rescue and Firefighter working at Liverpool airport, who came to the scene and tried to help Mr Williams.

The court heard that Mr William’s family had been concerned about his health due to a diagnosis of diabetes, and had bought him an Apple watch which would alert them if he had fallen.

At 5:50pm, Mr William’s eldest son, Peter, received an alert via his Apple watch telling him his father had a “hard fall”, and gave the location. He rushed to the scene to discover what had happened.

It was also determined by a Collision Investigator, that if McGuire had been travelling at the speed limit, Mr Williams would not have been in the eastbound lane, so would not have been hit.

Judge Louise Brandon said the family members who appeared in court “demonstrate that he (Mr Williams) was loved and no doubt missed.”

She described McGuire’s driving as a “persistent and deliberate course of very bad driving” and that McGuire showed “a total failure to have proper regard for vulnerable road users.”

Judge Brandon said the manner of his driving “created a substantial risk of danger” and “all of this is a tragedy that could so easily have been avoided.”

Mr Bisarya told the court that Dr Jonathan Medcalf, Home Office Pathologist, found Mr Williams “sustained multiple and catastrophic injuries resulting in immediate loss of consciousness and death soon after.” His dog suffered similar injuries and also died at the scene.

McGuire did stop at the scene and called an ambulance, but suddenly hung up, stating “I’m not staying on the phone”. When emergency services arrived at the scene, his phone could not be found.

However, it was agreed there was no evidence of him being on his phone at the time of the crash.

McGuire appeared in an interview on the evening of the incident and confirmed he was the driver, and that he had no medical condition that affected his ability to drive, and there were no issues with the vehicle that could have caused the crash.

The victim's family declined to offer a victim impact statement, instead deciding to “keep their grief private”.

It was also agreed that there was no evidence of racing or competitive driving, but that McGuire did drive “aggressively”.

McGuire pleaded guilty to the offence of causing death by dangerous driving on November 11.

He was sentenced to five years and six months in prison, and was disqualified for eight years and nine months, and has to pass an extended re-test before getting a new licence.

Mr Dylan, defending, stated it was “grossly excessive and inappropriate speed which caused this event”, but that McGuire was “genuinely remorseful”.

He added: “He says he has learnt a bitter and severe lesson.”

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here


'Police are everywhere': Children face murder probe scene on their way to school

Woman pleads not guilty to murder of Kasey Anderson

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.