Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Nolan King

Dana White confirms working date, location for Conor McGregor’s UFC return

The UFC is zeroing in on Conor McGregor’s return.

During a recent media tour in Russia, former UFC dual champion McGregor stated he will return to the octagon Jan. 18 in Las Vegas.

In an interview with “The Schmo” released Tuesday, UFC president Dana White said the paperwork isn’t set yet. However, White confirmed the date is indeed what the promotion is working toward.

“Yes, we will have a fight card in (Las Vegas), but we’ve got to get it done,” White said, when asked about the January card. “The fight is not done yet, you know?

“(McGregor) had a press conference and announced he was coming back, but no deals were done. No fights are done. No contracts have been signed. But yes, that’s what we’re looking to do.”

McGregor’s last in-cage appearance was against Khabib Nurmagomedov in the main event of UFC 229, a title fight he lost by fourth-round submission.

McGregor’s inactivity could be in part due to his recent troubles with the law. In March, McGregor was arrested after he swiped and smashed a fan’s cellphone in Miami.

Less than one month after the arrest, McGregor punched a patron at a pub in Ireland. Both the cell phone and pub incidents were captured on video. Eventually, McGregor spoke on the issues and said he “was in the wrong.”

Earlier this month, McGregor was named in a New York Times report as the subject of a sexual assault investigation in Ireland, the second time that has happened this year.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.