Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Damascus, London - Asharq Al-Awsat

Damascus Denounces US-European Statement on Syria

Boys stand near a damaged site after an airstrike in the Eastern Ghouta town of Misraba, Syria on January 4, 2018. Bassam Khabied/ Reuters

Syria’s Foreign Ministry has denounced the US-European joint statement on the ninth anniversary of the country's crisis, in which thousands were killed, injured and displaced.

“It is neither strange nor surprising what was stated in the US-British-French-German joint statement on the ninth year of the global plot targeting Syria, which is faced by Syrians’ steadfastness and the successive achievements of the Syrian Arab Army,” a Foreign Ministry official source said, Sana news agency reported.

“Developments have proven that what Syria and some Arab countries have faced is a scenario prepared by the renewed old hegemonic and colonial powers to re-impose their control over the world,” the statement read.

“These powers want to take over these countries’ resources and confiscate the national decision to serve their agendas,” it added.

The source pointed out that Israel might have the upper hand in the Arab region, accusing the European countries of “cooperating with the Turkish government to destroy Syria.”

The statement denounced what it described as a “false lamentation and hypocrisy that characterize the West’s colonial rhetoric on human rights in Syria.”

It stressed that these “western parties are stained by Syrians’ blood,” saying they are the reason behind the people’s suffering.

The statement stressed that terrorism and aggression against Syria have displaced millions of citizens.

Syria's war has entered its 10th year in March amid thousands of deaths and injuries, millions of displacements and the destruction of Syrian cities.

The US, Britain, France, and Germany have affirmed that no military solution is available for the Syrian crisis.

“We will not consider providing or supporting any reconstruction assistance until a credible, substantive, and genuine political process is irreversibly underway,” they said in their joint statement.

Earlier on Tuesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan discussed in a video conference with German, British and French leaders the migrant crisis and the situation in Syria’s northwestern Idlib province.

He also discussed with French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson methods of delivering humanitarian aid to Idlib.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.