Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Todd Fitzgerald & Jenny Kirkham

Dad sexually assaulted during flight says vodka fuelled mum 'got away' with attack

The victim of a vodka-fuelled mum who sexually assaulted him on a plane has said she "got away" with the attack after avoiding jail.

Gary Kirby, from Merseyside, was assaulted by Louise Whyte on a flight to Turkey after she took diazepam and codeine before getting drunk on duty-free alcohol.

Whyte, 38, was flying with her young daughter at the time of the assault in which she tried to kiss Mr Kirby before repeatedly offering to perform a sex act on him.

According to the Manchester Evening News, Whyte even started to pull down her own trousers and underwear mid-flight.

Louise Whyte convicted of being drunk on a aircraft and sexual assault on a plane (STEVE ALLEN)

Whyte was sent straight back to Manchester after the flight touched touched down in Dalaman and arrested by police on arrival.

She was handed a suspended sentence but her victim believes this was only because she was a woman.

Single dad, Mr Kirby, who waived his right to anonymity after the sentencing, said he believed the decision not to jail Whyte was "ridiculous".

He said: "If that was me, I'd be facing a custodial sentence.

"It's an absolute joke. She got away with it because she's a woman."

Gary spoke out after Whyte was pictured smiling and laughing with a cigarette outside a pub following her court appearance.

The court earlier heard Whyte was taking her daughter on holiday alone for the first time when she befriended Gary at a bar at Manchester Airport on May 27, 2019.

She was with her young daughter, he was with his son Connor.

It was two days before Connor's 11th birthday.

Before boarding the plane to Dalaman, Whyte took diazepam and codeine. She had been prescribed the drugs for pain relief for an injury.

During the flight, she downed vodka, "unaware" of the effects the booze would have when combined with the medication.

Whyte, of Walshaw Road, Bury, narrowly avoided jail after she admitted entering an aircraft when drunk and sexual assault.

She was sentenced to a six-month custodial term, suspended for 12 months; a six-month curfew; and 15 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

She was ordered to sign the sex offenders register for seven years.

Judge Sophie McKone said the safety of those on the plane was not endangered.

Louise Whyte outside Wetherspoons after her sentence (STEVE ALLEN)

Defending, Peter Horgan said Whyte was "embarrassed, ashamed and apologetic".

Gary, 31, who works in security, added: "Look at the size of me. I've got a skinhead. I'm a well-built guy.

"If it was me, I'd have gone to jail. These were serious offences.

"I hope the judge sees the pictures of her smiling after the case and realises it was a bad mistake not jailing her.

"It's made a joke out of me - and the justice system.

"It's the equivalent of a slap on the wrist."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.