A dad-of-three has won a payout from a hospital after a three-hour antibiotic delay left him paralysed for life.
Richard Saberton, 71, was suffering from neck and shoulder pain which turned out to be sepsis.
As the man was not given antibiotics for another three hours, he was left with irreversible paralysis.
Richard was rushed to Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, on November 5, 2016, after complaining of neck and shoulder pain, confusion and difficulty speaking.
He underwent a triage assessment and the results indicated that he was suffering from sepsis.
The condition happens when the body overreacts to an infection and starts to damage its own tissues and organs, the NHS explains.
The main signs of sepsis include slurred speech, confusion, extreme shivering and muscle pain, passing no urine in a day, severe breathlessness and mottled or discoloured skin.
In the hospital, Richard was not given antibiotics for three hours and days later, was unable to walk and also had weakened arms.

An MRI scan also found he had a spinal abscess that required surgery.
Richard said: “It’s been almost five years since my paralysis and it’s taken a long time for me to adjust to not being able to do a lot of what I used to.
“I used to be a keen cook and gardener, and liked to travel a lot, but I’m much more restricted in what I can do now and rely on Lynn and our children for most of it.
“I still struggle to come to terms with what happened.
"Thankfully, the support I’ve had has got me through and now we have our new home which makes it much easier for me to get about.
“I know there’s nothing I can do to change what happened, so all I want to do now is warn others of what to look out for when it comes to sepsis and how important it is for it to be treated early.
“I wouldn’t want others going through what I have.”
Richard instructed medical negligence experts at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his care under the Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the hospital.
The legal team successfully secured an undisclosed settlement for Richard which will ensure he has access to the ongoing specialist therapies and treatment he requires.
The Trust admitted that the former construction worker should have received antibiotics within “about one hour” of being assessed, following protocol.
The funds have also helped provide Richard with a new home adapted to fit his needs, which he and his wife Lynn, 72, moved into last month.
Rachelle Mahapatra, who represented Richard, said: “Richard’s life was turned upside down in the space of a few days and he and his family have struggled to come to terms with what happened to him.
“While nothing can change what he’s been through, we’re pleased to have been able to secure a settlement which will help him access the care he needs to live as independently as possible.
“To hear that he’s also now moved into his adapted home is great news. His new home will allow him to live a much more independent life.
“Through our work, we sadly come across a number of people who have been affected by sepsis. It’s vital that people are aware of the symptoms, as early detection and treatment is key to beating it.
“World Sepsis Day seemed a fitting time for Richard to share his story to raise awareness of the potential dangers.”