Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Sam Russell & Tom Duffy

Dad attacked walking to train station died suddenly at home

A football fan who was attacked after an away match died five years later of complications from a brain injury, an inquest has heard.

Cambridge United supporter Simon Dobbin was set upon as he walked to the railway station following his team's 0-0 away draw against Southend United on March 21 2015.

Mr Dobbin, a lifelong Liverpool FC supporter who used to live in Ormskirk, was left unable to walk, talk or control his movements following the attack in Essex.

READ MORE: Police swoop on 37 illegal parkers outside city centre dessert parlour

This morning Essex coroner's officer Jo Instrall said Mr Dobbin was assaulted and suffered "serious head injuries".

Ms Instrall told a hearing in Chelmsford on Thursday that Mr Dobbin "died suddenly at home" in Mildenhall, Suffolk, five years later, on October 21 2020, at the age of 48.

Ms Instrall said his medical cause of death was recorded as "complications arising from hypoxic ischemic brain injury following an assault."

A selfie photograph of Simon Dobbin while he was on holiday in Spain before the attack (Phil Harris)

Essex area coroner Sean Horstead formally opened the inquest into Mr Dobbin's death and then suspended it "at the request of Essex Constabulary".

He said the hearing will resume "at the conclusion of any contemplated criminal proceedings".

Essex Police previously said a post-mortem examination indicated a "causal link" between the attack and Mr Dobbin's death.

Detectives are investigating to see whether they can "directly and evidentially show who was responsible for his death".

Thirteen men were convicted in 2017 of their involvement in the attack, and 12 of them were handed jail terms totalling more than 42 years.

Acting Detective Superintendent Stephen Jennings, from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: "We have received the final report following the post-mortem examination and it shows pathologically there was a causal link between the assault Simon was subjected to, and his death.

"We will now carry out an investigation to see if we can directly and evidentially show who was responsible for his death.

"I know Simon's story has touched the lives of many people and we are supporting his family.

"My thoughts are with his friends and loved ones."

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.