Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
National
Kate Thayer

Cupich declines police detail at Holy Name rectory

Dec. 06--Newly installed Archbishop Blase Cupich has declined to add Chicago police officers to his existing security detail at Holy Name Cathedral's rectory, where he resides.

Colleen Dolan, the Archdiocese of Chicago director of communications and public relations, said the Police Department asked Cupich if he required police officers to provide security at Holy Name. Because Holy Name already has a private security firm, Dolan said Cupich didn't think Chicago police officers were necessary.

"He is confident the security that exists is adequate," she said.

Retired Cardinal Francis George still resides at the Gold Coast mansion where the archbishop has historically lived and has Chicago police-provided security there. Cupich decided not to live at the mansion but instead stay in the more modest rectory.

Dolan also said that if Cupich had decided he wanted a Chicago police detail at the rectory, it would have been funded by the archdiocese. Police officers who work at the mansion, however, are not paid by the archdiocese because the mansion is considered part of Chicago police's regular detail, Dolan said.

Chicago police spokesman Martin Maloney said officers are assigned to the archdiocese mansion and have been for many years. Police do not provide additional security to George or Cupich.

Last month, Cupich officially became archbishop for the nation's third-largest archdiocese. George, who has retired as archbishop but remains a cardinal, is fighting his third bout with cancer.

Tribune reporter Jeremy Gorner contributed.

kthayer@tribpub.com

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.