
Slumping Ian Happ, who had started all but four games this season and had appeared in all but one, was given a scheduled break for the opener of the Cubs’ interleague series Friday against the Twins.
Manager David Ross said he and Happ discussed their options earlier in the week and agreed a little more rest would be prudent after the Cubs’ day off Thursday. Happ, who last sat Sept. 4, was slugging .200 with no home runs and 18 strikeouts in his last 11 games (51 plate appearances).
Ross hinted he was looking to rest other members of the Cubs’ everyday core before the postseason begins.
‘‘This being my first season [as a manager], I just try to watch with a helpful eye and [make] sure things look crisp,’’ Ross said. ‘‘Whether it’s coming out of the box or their swing or running the bases or defensive jumps. Just keeping a pulse on guys, whether it’s mental frustration, physical fatigue or matchups.’’
MILLS ON TAP
Coming off his no-hitter Sunday against the Brewers in Milwaukee, the 16th such feat in franchise history, right-hander Alec Mills has been on a constant high of accepting congratulatory messages.
It should help that the schedule provided an extra day of rest between starts, but the 28-year-old career swingman still will face some challenges when he takes the mound Saturday.
White Sox right-hander Lucas Giolito, also facing the Twins, allowed four earned runs in five innings Aug. 31 in the follow-up to the only other no-hitter of this shortened season. Giolito also had an extra day of rest but finished with a no-decision.
Mills, two years older than Giolito but with only 15 career big-league starts and six victories, will try to extend a 17-inning scoreless streak. A four-run third inning by the Pirates on Sept. 3 was the last damage against Mills.
REINFORCEMENTS
Left-handers Jose Quintana and Andrew Chafin are nearing a return from the injured list, Ross said.
Chafin (sprained finger) was scheduled to throw a bullpen session Friday, and Quintana (lat inflammation) has a simulated game set for Saturday.
‘‘They are both extremely close,’’ Ross said.
Chafin, who was acquired from the Diamondbacks at the trade deadline Aug. 31, has yet to make his Cubs debut. He had an 8.10 ERA in 11 appearances with the Diamondbacks.
FUTURE VISION
While acknowledging the emotion of left-hander Jon Lester’s potential Wrigley Field farewell Wednesday, Ross said he’s optimistic his close friend and former teammate will return in 2021.
‘‘I don’t see it as his last start here for me,’’ Ross said. ‘‘I see him coming back. That’s my hope. I think he’s got a lot more to prove. I think he’s got a lot more to do in this game. I know 200 wins is a goal.’’
The Cubs hold a $25 million option ($10 million buyout) for 2021 on Lester, who has 192 career victories.