Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport
Sam Tabuteau

Crystal Palace: Oliver Glasner expects new arrivals as transfer deadline draws nearer

Oliver Glasner says he expects Crystal Palace to bring in more players before the transfer deadline after the Eagles sealed their place in the Conference League proper.

Palace ground out a 0-0 draw away to Fredrikstad on Thursday night to progress through, 1-0 on aggregate, to the league phase of the Conference League.

It means the Eagles will compete in European competition for the first time in the club’s history, and Glasner has voiced his concerns about the size of his squad, with only 14 senior outfield players travelling to Norway for the second leg of their play-off against Fredrikstad.

Glasner, who said his focus had been solely on the game against Fredrikstad, refused to confirm whether anyone would join or leave the club before next Monday’s deadline, but admitted he was confident signings would be made.

“No [I can’t confirm if anyone will join or depart)]” Glasner told Channel 5.

“I told everyone in the club I don't want to talk about transfers today because the team deserves the full attention. So, our job and our part is to be successful and go into the group stage. So, I can't be deflected from this transfer noise.

“We have other guys in the club who are responsible to get the deals done. I know they are really working hard. Of course, if you wait that long, you have long days, late nights to work on [it]. But I'm sure that we will add a few players and they will be the right ones.”

Palace have endured a difficult summer, losing talismanic midfielder Eberechi Eze to Arsenal, while only managing to bring in two new players, Borna Sosa, who started against Fredrikstad, and goalkeeper Walter Benitez.

The club are close to securing the signing of Spanish winger Yeremy Pino, who underwent a medical on Thursday ahead of his move from Villarreal. Meanwhile, they are also in the market for a centre-back, having enquired about Manchester City’s Manuel Akanji.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.