Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Joe Thomas

Cruise liner cancels Liverpool departure over technical issues

A cruise liner was forced to cancel a scheduled trip from Liverpool after technical issues on board one of its ships.

Fred Olsen was set to sail from the Mersey today for a five day trip to the Shetland and Faroe Islands.

The company is hopeful the issues will be resolved by next Thursday, its next scheduled departure from Liverpool.

READ MORE: Merseyrail changes shoppers and party-goers should be aware of tonight

Fred Olsen's liner, the Borealis, boasts 702 cabins and a capacity of 1,360 passengers and a further 662 staff.

The ship departed Liverpool to a backdrop of fireworks as it set sail on its maiden voyage as a Fred Olsen vessel earlier this month.

It arrived in Portsmouth on Friday but has since been delayed due to technical issues that have had an impact on its schedule.

The company initially said: "A potential issue with the ship's on board technology has unfortunately delayed departure from Portsmouth.

"We are working hard to resolve the issue, and guests on board are being kept up-to-date."

It then informed customers that a trip due to leave Liverpool today - cruise S215 - was cancelled as a result.

Fred Olsen tweeted: "The delayed departure from Portsmouth means we unfortunately won't arrive in Liverpool on schedule for our next cruise - S215. Therefore we have made the difficult decision to cancel this sailing."

That cruise was a trip north to take in the coastlines of the Orkney, Shetland and Faroe Islands.

A further update issued today sought to reassure passengers the next departure from Liverpool, a seven night British Isles tour leaving on July 22, was still scheduled to go ahead.

It said: "We can confirm Borealis will be moving out to anchor near Portsmouth later today. Our onboard engineers are working to ensure she is fully operational in time to welcome guests back on board in Liverpool next Thursday.

"We would like to sincerely apologise once again to all guests who were impacted by the last-minute change and thank them for being so patient and understanding."

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.