Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
National
Ian Johnson

Crowd condemned for flouting lockdown rules to watch 'organised' fight outside Walker pub

A huge crowd who flouted lockdown rules to watch an "organised" fight near a Newcastle pub has been slammed by council bosses.

Shocking footage showed two men wearing boxing gloves fighting in front of dozens of screaming spectators in Walker.

The fight was streamed on Facebook Live, with footage showing a boxer knock his foe down to the ground near The Crockets Hotel..

Both the crowd and the combatants flout social distancing rules during what officers suspect was an "organised" fight.

Northumbria Police received multiple calls about the fight and officers have launched an investigation.

Now, Newcastle City Council has hit out at those involved, stating their actions potentially risk the spread of Covid-19.

A council spokesperson said: “We are aware of reports of an incident in the Walker area in which a number of individuals failed to adhere to Government lockdown guidelines.

“We condemn such behaviour and would remind everyone of their responsibilities to adhere to social distancing and act appropriately to protect themselves and others from coronavirus.”

Earlier this week, a Northumbria Police spokesperson said: "We received reports that an organised fight had been arranged at a premises on Mitchell Street, Newcastle, on Friday, May 15.

“Officers attended and on arrival, a number of those present dispersed without issue and neighbourhood policing teams remained in the area to carry out patrols.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.