Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Times of India
The Times of India
National
Rahul Gayakwad | TNN

Covid norms keep tourists far from monsoon getaways in Kolhapur

KOLHAPUR: The popular Monsoon getaways in and around Kolhapur will not see a spark in tourism activities for the the third consecutive year.

Plenty of waterfalls, dams, forests, scenic beauty of ghats and the lush green landscapes make the district one of the much preferred monsoon destinations in western Maharashtra. However, this time, too, the district will not see much of tourism activities owing to the second wave of the pandemic. Most tourist spots and getaway destinations in the district will be shut for visitors this year.

Prior to the pandemic, tourism during monsoon in Kolhapur was largely impacted due to 2019 floods. And, ever since the pandemic hit the country last year, tourism has taken another big blow.

Resorts, halls and hotels in most places were temporarily converted into quarantine centres by the district administration to accommodate Covid patients. This year, owing to the fear of a new strain of Covid-19, various destinations in the district like Radhanagari, Shahuwadi, Gagan-Bawda, Chandgad and Panhala are set to remain shut, affecting local monsoon-related businesses.

Pradeep Jadhav, a resort owner at Amba, said, “Last year, the resorts at Amba had been converted into quarantine centres till October by the district administration. Therefore, prime tourism period was completely wasted. This year too, waterfalls and other monsoon spots in Shahuwadi have been prohibited for visitors due to the second wave. We are yet to recover from last year’s losses and again this year the losses will get doubled. In monsoon, Amba stays full with tourists coming from Kolhapur, Sangli, Belagavi, Pune and Mumbai. But this year, akin to last year, the hill station will be deserted. We are unable to operate our resorts and pay our workers.”

Abhijeet Lokhande, a city-based tours and travels company operator, said, “I used to organise monsoon bike rides, nature trails and waterfall rappelling activities during the monsoon with a huge number of adventure lovers opting for it. Last year, we faced heavy losses due to most places being shut in view of the pandemic. This year too, the scenario will be similar as most of the monsoon tourism places are shut. The district administration should find out alternative solution and allow at least local tours to be conducted within the district”.

Kolhapur adds 1,824 cases

Kolhapur district on Friday reported 1,824 fresh cases and 33 Covid deaths. Satara district recorded 804 fresh cases 25 Covid deaths on Friday. In Sangli district, 927 people tested positive and 19 patients died due to Covid on Friday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.