Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Special Correspondent

COVID-19: Man dies in Meerut

Deserted view of Delhi-Meerut expressway (NH-24) during the lockdown. (Source: THE HINDU)

One more person infected with COVID-19 succumbed in Meerut on Thursday night, taking the number of casualties in Uttar Pradesh to 14.

Data | The Nizamuddin cluster and the coronavirus spread

This is the second death in Meerut, one of the hotspots in the State, because of COVID-19, said officials. “The 57-year-old was admitted to the isolation ward of Meerut Medical College. His condition deteriorated late on Thursday and he died during treatment,” said Raj Kumar, chief medical officer, Meerut.

District Surveillance Officer Vishwas Choudhary said the deceased had come into contact with a person who participated in a religious congregation in Delhi. He was a resident of the Jali Kothi area, where a police team was attacked by locals last week.

Interactive map of confirmed coronavirus cases in India

“We sealed the Ahmednagar locality in Jali Kothi area on Thursday night,” said Mr. Choudhary.

Also read: Doctor injured in U.P.’s Moradabad as crowd attacks health team

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.