Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Mahesh Langa

Novel coronavirus claims first life in Gujarat

Fire and emergency service personnel wearing face masks sprays disinfectant to all major landmark and roads in Ahmedabad on March 22, 2020. (Source: The Hindu)

A 69-year-old man infected with the novel coronavirus died in Surat on Sunday, the first one in Gujarat where 20 persons have been found infected with the COVID-19.

Also read: Coronavirus | With a jump in COVID-19 cases, Gujarat locks down Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara and Rajkot

While 19 persons are infected and are under treatment in isolation, more than 6,000 others are also in isolation across the State.

The deceased, who was admitted to hospital on March 17, had co-morbid conditions which led to multi-organ failure, according to the Health department.

A 65-year-old woman died in a Vadodara hospital but her test report is awaited. She also had comorbid conditions like diabetics and hypertension.

Four more cases were reported from the State on Sunday taking the number to 18 — Ahmedabad 7, Vadodara 3, Gandhinagar 3, Surat 5 (including one death) and Rajkot and Kutch each one.

Also read: Coronavirus | Gujarat reports first cases of COVID-19 infection

As the cases began mounting, the government issued broad precautionary measures including lock down in Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara and Kutch, terminating public transport services and shutting down business and commercial establishments except essential services till March 25.

The State has also suspended movement of vehicles from neighbouring States.

Gujarat’s adjoining Union Territory of Daman and Diu has also sealed borders to cut off the two islands from outsiders.

In Daman, Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli, all hotels for tourists have been shut. “We have ordered lock down in areas under the jurisdiction of Union Territories of Daman, Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli. No outsiders are allowed entry till March 31,” said Praful Patel, Administrator of the Union Territories.

He said no case of the infection had been reported from the UTs so far.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.