Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bristol Post
Bristol Post
National
Richard Mills & Emma Grimshaw

Couple's error sees their car 'engulfed' by sea

A couple lost their car, transport home and personal belongings after their vehicle was 'engulfed and submerged' in rising waves.

Luckily the pair escaped uninjured as the tide on Brean Beach came racing in at about 5pm, on Monday, (August 3), reports Somerset Live.

In a Facebook post, Burnham Coastguard Rescue Team said the incoming water quickly enveloped the vehicle and by the time they arrived only the roof was visible.

It is understood the driver drove on the beach because he 'wanted to get closer to the sea'.

Due to the tidal times, it will not be safe to access the car until Tuesday afternoon (August 4).

The Facebook post reads: "Today marked our 50th call out of the year so far and it was one that we see at least once a year.

"This time a couple had taken their car on the beach and the driver wanted to get closer to the water, just as his wife said to stop, the front wheels dug in as the soft sand gave way under the weight of the car instantly trapping it as the tide advanced towards them.

"As we know the tide in this area is fast and despite help from onlookers to free it before the cold salt water started lapping at the wheels it would not budge and the water continued to rise quickly until the vehicle was completely engulfed and submerged beneath the murky waves.

"Our team were responding to ensure there was no risk to any persons and when we arrived only the roof was visible which soon disappeared too.

"After checking on the owners and ensuring everyone was safe and no one was in any need of medical attention we liaised with our Coastguard Operations Centre and the car owners about recovery.

"Due to the tide times it will not be safely accessible until tomorrow afternoon (August 4) which means it will have had a second tide over it so it will have been a very expensive trip to the beach for them."

The coastguard said the couple had lost their car, their way of getting home, personal belongings, and more.

They added: "Again this shows the importance of knowing your surroundings and beach safety.

"This kind of error stirs up a lot of anger locally but we would like to say that no one walks away scot-free in this kind of incident.

"This couple have lost their car, their transport home, their personal belongings and countless bills plus however long they will be without a car and that's without the emotional strain this brings.

"So although it could've been avoided the lesson is learnt and the cost is already high and the most important thing is that all concerned are safe.

"So let's leave the negative comments at the door, and instead just give it a thumbs up and even repost it somewhere helpful, we all learn better if the message is positive.

"If you see anyone or you are in danger or difficulty while along the coast dial 999 and ask for the Coastguard. Stay safe people."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.