Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
National
Anh Do

Count of the missing in Camp fire down to 25

The latest tally of people missing in the Camp fire has dropped to 25, authorities say.

Friends and family initially reported more than 3,100 people missing, according to the Butte County Sheriff's Office. But the number has steadily declined during weeks of nonstop searching since the fire exploded across Paradise and neighboring towns, incinerating homes, hospitals, businesses, churches and schools.

Authorities eased some evacuation orders Sunday. The Sheriff's Office said residents of some parts of Magalia and Concow would be allowed in with identification.

The fire started Nov. 8, causing 88 deaths _ with officials tentatively identifying 42 victims and positively identifying 41.

Butte County Sheriff Kory L. Honea said earlier that he and his team "are doing everything in our power" to find the remains of those reported lost or missing. The remains already found are "nearly completely consumed" by fire, he said.

The Camp fire also injured 12 civilians and five firefighters, and destroyed more than 18,800 structures, with most of the damage occurring the first two days. Officials contained the fire Nov. 25.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.