Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Kathleen Speirs

Corrie McKeague death probe delay in devastating blow for family

The family of missing Scots RAF gunner Corrie McKeague have suffered another devastating blow as the probe into his death has been pushed back.

We told how the 23-year-old vanished in the early hours of September 24, 2016.

Corrie, from Dunfermline, Fife had been on a drunken night out in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk at the time of his disappearence.

Corrie McKeague went missing in 2016 (PA)

Despite a multi-million pound search operation which included two landfill sites the serviceman's body has never found.

It is feared that he may have sheltered in a rubbish bin which was later collected by a bin lorry and emptied in a dump.

The serviceman's mother Nicola Urquhart has long campaigned for a formal inquest into the circumstances of his presumed death to be held.

Nicola Urquhart (PA)

But Nicola shared the difficult news with fellow campaigners that the pre-inquest hearing has been delayed by over two months.

It was supposed to resume on February 5, but now won't pick back up till April 16.

Nicola said: ""Due to circumstances beyond the control of the coroner, my solicitor,barrister myself, Makeyan and Darroch, the date for the pre-inquest hearing has had to be delayed.

"The new date will be Friday, April 16."

Nicola added that the inquest itself cannot begin until later in 2021.

However the grieving mum fears that even this might also fall victim to delays.

Corrie McKeague walking along Brentgovel Street at around 3am. (Suffolk Police/PA Wire)

She added: "This is not the inquest.

"That will not be listed until the later half of 2021.

"At this time the coroner is still hopeful to have the inquest heard before the end of the year, however I am realistic in understanding that this also could move due to the amount of information that has to be examined.

Police searching a landfill site in Milton, Cambridgeshire, for missing Corrie. (Chris Radburn/PA Wire)

"What is important is that we are getting an inquest, not how long it takes.

"Thank you all for everything you have done and continue to do for Corrie and us."

Nicola did not specify if the coronavirus pandemic was in part to blame for the set back.

Massive searches have taken place to find Corrie (SWNS.com)

Droves of online supporters offered well wishes for Nicola and her family.

One wrote: "Stay strong.

"Here is hoping that you get the answers you deserve."

Police searching for missing RAF gunner Corrie McKeague at Landfill Site in Milton, Cambridgeshire (Daily Mirror)

Another added: "I am still hoping and praying for a miracle.

"May the new year bring news of Corrie, and sooner rather than later.

"Take care and stay safe."

A third said: "Always praying for some answers as to where Corrie is, to give the family some peace of mind.

"Hopefully soon you will have that."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.