Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Neil Shaw

Coronavirus threat in England remains at Level Four

The coronavirus alert level remains at four – which the Government previously said would mean restrictions remain in place – despite the lockdown being eased across England on Monday.

Chief medical officer for England Professor Chris Whitty and the newly-established joint biosecurity centre discussed the level last week but did not alter it, Downing Street said.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “In terms of the changes I think we were always clear that we would need to be meeting our five tests and I believe that we are.

“In terms of the alert level it’s moving down from four to three.

“We’ve obviously been in the process of setting up the new centre and making it fully operational, and I think we’re only now getting to that point.”

Discussing the alert level, the spokesman said that Professor Whitty and the centre “worked together on this last week”.

Downing Street has said the scientific consensus is that it is “unlikely” that easing the lockdown in England will push the coronavirus transmission rate R past the crucial value of one, amid concerns ministers are acting too soon.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “We have worked to gradually and safely ease the lockdown measures, the consensus from the scientists is if test and trace is up and running and the public follow the social distancing guidance then it’s unlikely the measures will push the R above one.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.