Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Neil Murphy & Ryan Merrifield

'Coronavirus pandemic could just be beginning,' WHO medic warns

The clear rise in Covid-19 infections shows we are only at the start of the coronavirus pandemic, according to a top WHO doctor.

Dr David Nabarro, the World Health Organisation's Special Envoy on Covid-19, also said lockdowns aren't helpful in stopping outbreaks developing - only slowing them down.

He said on BBC's Newsnight: "If you look at the graphs showing numbers of new cases occurring each day over time and I'm watching an acceleration.

"So this pandemic, globally, isn't going away at all. Perhaps we're quite early on at the beginning of it.

"And as I see this, I think of just the scale of the task that faces so many countries now, particularly poorer countries, much poorer than the UK."

Follow all coronavirus updates on our live blog here

Dr David Nabarro was speaking on Newsnight on Tuesday night (BBC)

The only way to eliminate the virus is to establish an effective track and trace system, he suggested, something which the UK appears to have struggled with in recent weeks.

He also said he hoped we would not see the reintroduction of lockdowns that brought economies around the world to a shuddering halt. 

Emily Maitlis asked: "Do you think we'll ever see the same kind of global lockdown that we've experienced in 2020?"

Dr David Nabarro is a London-born medic with years of experience in public health (AFP via Getty Images)

"Oh, I really hope not. You see, lockdowns aren't really very helpful in stopping outbreaks from developing.

"They do slow them down. But the only way you can deal with an outbreak at any time is to find people with the disease and isolate them and find their contacts and isolate them and just stop it.

"And we will be able I think to do that kind of activity without needing to resort to lockdowns, especially when you've got low case numbers like what's happening in Britain right now.

Medical staff don PPE at a testing facility (AFP via Getty Images)

"Tougher in the United States, but in Britain I believe it should be possible to keep the numbers down and keep the economy going and not have to have widespread lockdowns.

"Perhaps a little bit local movement restriction but absolutely not the kind of lockdown that happened earlier this year."

Last night it was reported that Boris Johnson is "extremely concerned" that a second wave of coronavirus could hit the UK within two weeks.

Hopes for an early coronavirus vaccine are growing (Getty Images)

The Prime Minister earlier warned we are seeing "signs of a second wave" of Covid-19 in continental Europe.

It comes as the town of Oldham has seen tough coronavirus lockdown restrictions reimposed after a worrying spike in cases.

A Downing Street source told the Daily Mail : "The PM is extremely concerned by what he's seeing abroad and fears we could be seeing the same thing here in a fortnight.

"People have got to realise we are still in the middle of a pandemic.

"He wants to go further on opening things up and getting people back to work, but he knows it'll be his head on the block if things go wrong."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.