Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
World
Kevin Rawlinson

Coronavirus 18 March: at a glance

Coronavirus daily briefing
Coronavirus daily briefing Illustration: Guardian Design/EPA/GETTY

Key developments in the global coronavirus outbreak today include:

Global death toll nears 8,000

According to figures from Johns Hopkins University, 7,905 people have died as a result of the pandemic and there have been 197,167 confirmed diagnoses, while 80,840 people have recovered.

Criminal trials halted in England and Wales

The lord chief justice, Lord Burnett, said no new trial should start in any crown court unless it is expected to last for three days or fewer. Any longer cases due to start before the end of April are to be postponed.

Australia adopts social distancing measures

Australians were told to expect at least six months of severe disruption as the country’s prime minister and chief medical officer delivered a series of new restrictions. They advised people to avoid international travel and groups of more than 100 people, as well as other measures.

All 50 US states now have infections

The virus reached West Virginia, which had been the last infection-free state. The US has seen 93 deaths as a result of the pandemic, according to Johns Hopkins University figures.

British death toll increases

The Department of Health and Social Care announced the death toll in the UK had increased by 18 to 71 people on Tuesday. The latest to die were aged between 45 and 93 years and all had underlying health conditions, the government added.

UK government unveils financial aid package

Shortly after the news broke – and only days after having delivered his first budget – the UK’s chancellor, Rishi Sunak, said £330bn would now be made available in lending to keep firms in business during the social and economic near-shutdown the prime minister called for on Monday.

English Heritage closes off sites

The guardian of some of England’s most cherished treasures, such as Stonehenge, announced that all staffed sites were closing. Unstaffed ones were to remain open, however.

Pubs and restaurants to become takeaways

Those businesses serving hot food are to be allowed to operate as takeaways in a bid to save them from collapse. Ministers announced a plan to relax planning rules amid concerns many will struggle to survive the near-lockdown conditions being encouraged by the government.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.