Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Special Correspondent

Coronavirus | Karnataka confirms first positive COVID-19 case

A KSRTC employee disinfect buses in an effort to prevent spread of coronavirus in Bengaluru. Karnataka confirmed its first positive case of COVID-19 on Monday. (Source: The Hindu)

Karnataka on Monday evening confirmed the first positive COVID-19 case after a 40-year-old software professional, who returned from the US on March 1, tested positive for the virus. The condition of the patient, who has been admitted to the State-run Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases (RGICD) is said to be stable.

Also read: Coronavirus, live updates | Karnataka, Punjab report first COVID-19 cases

As a precautionary measure, the government declared a holiday for all primary schools (class 1 to 5) in Bengaluru Urban and Bengaluru Rural districts. A circular for the closure of Pre-KG, LKG and UKG schools of BBMP and Bangalore Urban districts until further orders had been issued on Sunday.

Medical Education Minister K Sudhakar, who announced the positive case on Monday evening, told presspersons that a circular is being issued for closure of anganwadis in BBMP, Bengaluru Urban and Rural districts.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.