Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Daniel Morrow

Coronavirus forces DWP to stop face-to-face disability benefit assessments

The DWP will suspend face-to-face assessments for sickness and disability benefit payments for three months to protect people from coronavirus.

The Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) will put the extraordinary measure into place from Tuesday, March 17.

Claimants of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Employment Support Allowance (ESA), some on Universal Credit and recipients of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit will be affected.

Suspension of the face-to-face assessments will also apply to new claims of those benefits.

Claimants of PIP, ESA, Universal Credit and recipients of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit will be affected (PA)

It comes after the UK ramped up its response to Covid-19 to the ‘delay’ phase after it was revealed that 53 people who tested positive for the virus have died in the UK.

Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey said: “As we move into the next phase of our response to coronavirus, it is right we take steps to protect those with health problems.

“Temporarily suspending face-to-face assessments for sickness and disability benefits will allow us to ensure we continue to provide a safety net for those in need, while removing unnecessary risk of exposure to the disease.”

Boris Johnson urged people to avoid all ‘non-essential’ contact during a press conference on Monday.

The Prime Minister called for “drastic action” to be taken to tackle the “fast growth” of Covid-19, which included advice to avoid pubs, clubs and restaurants.

The Prime Minister spoke to the press about the growing coronavirus crisis in the UK on Monday (PA)

Johnson also said that people who live with someone who has a cough or a temperature should stay at home for 14 days.

The total number of patients who have tested positive for coronavirus in Scotland currently stands at 171.

It was confirmed on Monday that 18 of those patients were diagnosed with the deadly bug in the last 24 hours.

One Scots patient has so far died as a result of Covid-19, which has claimed the lives of more than 7,000 people worldwide.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.