Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Jonathan Humphries

Coronavirus evacuees 'moved to tears' by beautiful messages

Coronavirus evacuees quarantined in Arrowe Park Hospital say they have been "moved to tears" by beautiful messages of support from the Wirral public.

The 93 British nationals have been flown from Wuhan, the epicentre of the pandemic, and are being housed in a staff accommodation block for 14 days.

Today Lancashire man Kharn Lambert, who is quarantined with his 81-year-old grandmother Veronica Theobald, shared pictures of cards and notes left on the door of the building.

The messages included colourful drawings made by children, including New Brighton lad Calum Beecham who said: "It has took me a long time to make this so I hope you enjoy!"

Mr Lambert told the ECHO: "Everything is going ok here, bored now but just got to ride it out, we're not doing a lot really, most people are keeping themselves to themselves trying to minimise any risk of spreading the virus if anyone is carrying it.

Speaking about the messages, he said: "Oh god we were all moved to tears. The generosity of people on the Wirral has been amazing."

Supportive messages left by the people of Wirral for coronavirus evacuees quarantined in Arrowe Park Hospital, Birkenhead (Kharn Lambert)

The messages came as hospital staff, volunteers and members of the public donated gifts aimed at helping the evacuees stay more comfortable.

One read: "Hi, welcome to the Wirral.

"We are very friendly here & hope your stay is as 'ok' as it can be under the circumstances.

"I have donated games and jigsaws. Enjoy. Best wishes, Karrie Pickles, APH staff secretary."

Follow the Liverpool ECHO coronavirus liveblog for all the latest details

Another said: "Dear people who have been brought in from China.

"We realise you may be a bit concerned and/or scared we just wanted you to know you are in our thoughts and prayers

"Lots of love, The Kainos Initiative."

Mr Lambert said the situation in Wuhan was terrifying.

Workmen move a fencing panel at Arrowe Park Hospital in Merseyside, outside the block where British nationals from the coronavirus-hit city of Wuhan in China are being quarantined. (Danny Lawson/PA Wire)

He said: "It was very dire, very serious, the spread of the virus is growing rapidly as you know.

"We were in lockdown so it was very difficult to go anywhere and I’m hearing news from friends that are still in Wuhan that if the spread of the virus does not reduce significantly in the coming weeks that there will be a military personnel being sent into the city, and it will be a house lockdown situation where they would not be allowed out of the house."

China's health commission reported on Sunday there have been 361 deaths and 2,829 new cases in the last 24 hours - bringing the number of Chinese cases to 17,205.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) said the number of coronavirus cases will keep growing because tests are pending on thousands of suspected sufferers.

Two cases have been confirmed in the UK so far, with both patients confirmed as members of the same family who are being treated in a Newcastle hospital.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.