
A Gold Coast mother who fought to have her sentence reduced for killing her four-year-old son is set to be released from custody.
Heidi Strbak, 37, was sentenced to nine years in jail in 2017 after pleading guilty to the manslaughter of Tyrell Cobb.
Her sentence was set aside in March after a High Court appeal and she was required to be resentenced.
Strbak sobbed as Brisbane Supreme Court Justice David Boddice on Friday sentenced her to five years in jail.
But he immediately suspended the sentence taking into account the 1148 days she has already spent in custody.
Tyrell died on the Gold Coast in May 2009 after Strbak and her then de facto Matthew Scown failed to seek timely medical treatment for the sick boy.
He had been vomiting following a blow to his abdomen, which tore open his small intestine.
By the time paramedics were called, Tyrell was unresponsive and never regained consciousness.
An autopsy revealed 70 bruises and abrasions, as well as a cigarette lighter burn on his ankle.
Justice Boddice rejected Scown's evidence during the four-day contested sentence hearing.
The Crown argued Strbak did not seek medical help for Tyrell because she was responsible for inflicting the blows.
"The explanation is that she knew she bore some responsibility," Philip McCarthy QC told the court.
Defence barrister Saul Holt said there was no dispute that the injuries to Tyrell were unlawful and intentional, but Strbak was not responsible.