Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Kathryn Anderson

Controversial Perth guesthouse plan gets the green light from councillors

A Perth home has been granted permission to become a guesthouse despite the entire residential street apparently objecting.

A total of 22 letters of objection were submitted to Perth and Kinross Council opposing the change of use for Woodcroft House in a Perth residential street.

Bellwood Park, just off Dundee Road towards Kinnoull Hill, is a private no-through road with limited access and parking.

Robert Cumming gave a deputation, on behalf of all the objectors, to the planning and development management committee when the committee met on Wednesday (March 11) to discuss the case.

Land dispute halting roundabout works

The property is currently a bed and breakfast with the owners letting out two bedrooms in the five-bedroomed house for holiday accommodation. The applicants were seeking to increase holiday accommodation from two bedrooms to four bedrooms. Planning officer, Anne Condliffe explained a change of use application was required because more than two bedrooms would be used.

Mr Cumming said the change of use would "intensify the volume of traffic" and "increase the danger for everyone not least the guests who don't know the road."

He claimed it was "fanciful" to suggest "only some" guests will travel by car. He said: "Public safety must be paramount in all decisions."

Currently, refuse lorries have to reverse up the no-through road. 

He told the chamber there was "very little good quality parking" with cars currently having to reverse out of garages to get on the street.

Perth City Centre councillor Chris Ahern provided a deputation on behalf of residents and said there had been an accident the previous week when two cars collided in the middle of the road.

Cll Bob Brawn disputed the objection to the guesthouse being in a residential area saying most bed and breakfasts were.

The luxury bed and breakfast has been given five stars by the Scottish Tourist Board and has a full five stars on Tripadvisor from 40 reviews with a PKC planning officer confirming the 2019 occupancy was 28 per cent.

The planning and development management committee agreed to the change of use, with only Cllr Willie Wilson putting forward an amendment to object. He cited concerns about the "creep of commercialisation" being a potential issue. His amendment did not receive a seconder and the motion was passed.

After the meeting Cllr Ahern said he was disappointed by the decision and said: "The whole street was against it."

The owners of Woodcroft House politely refused to comment.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.