Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Jasper Lindell

Controversial Manuka tree removal won't be investigated by Integrity Commission

Arborists work on cutting down and mulching the controversial Franklin Street tree in the Manuka shopping precinct in July 2019. Picture: Karleen Minney

The process which allowed the removal of a contentious London plane tree from a prominent future development site in Manuka will not be investigated by the ACT's newly established integrity commission.

In a letter to the member of the public who made a complaint about the process, the commission's chief executive, John Hoitink, said an assessment panel, which included commissioner Dennis Cowdroy and Mr Hoitink, found the matter had been adequately dealt with by the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal in July 2019.

"Further, it is the view of the panel that the information before the Commission is not suggestive of the decision to remove the tree being corruptly made or of a public official having corruptly benefited from that decision," the letter said.

The complainant had argued the actions of the ACT Planning and Land authority in relation to the tree fell under the commission's definition of corruption.

"It would be an understatement to say that this chain of events has seriously undermined the community's confidence in the integrity of actions of the ACT Government, particularly ACTPLA, and has raised serious concerns about corrupt conduct within that authority, from the top down," the referral said.

The referral argued the planning authority at times had the appearance of "being driven to a pre-ordained conclusion despite any opposing evidence or argument".

The tree was eventually removed in late July last year after a years-long stoush over the future of the prominent Manuka site it was located on.

In March, Mr Hoitink told the Sunday Canberra Times the commission had received more than 40 complaints since it was established in December last year.

"We've received over 40 matters, a percentage of those will definitely go to preliminary inquiries and investigations," Mr Hoitink said at the time.

"There are one or two legacy issues from years gone by, but other than that a lot of the matters that have come in are contemporary."

TIMELINE OF THE TREE

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.