Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Birmingham Post
Birmingham Post
Business
Tom Houghton & Liam Thorp

Contractor behind huge Liverpool Lime Street redevelopment scheme falls into administration

The contractor working on the controversial major roadwork scheme around Liverpool Lime Street station has fallen into administration.

NMCN plc failed to sign off its 2020 accounts and secure a re-financing of the business, and has subsequently entered administration, with officials from Grant Thornton having been appointed.

On Monday, Liverpool Council it was "seeking clarification" on next steps, as the Liverpool Echo reports.

READ MORE: Thousands of new North West jobs as Government's National Cyber Force campus to be based in Lancashire

Nottinghamshire-headquartered NMCN is the principle contractor behind the multi-million pound, controversial redevelopment of the Lime Street and St George's area - perhaps the most iconic gateway into the city of Liverpool.

The scheme is part of the wider - and often contentious - City Centre Connectivity Scheme, which is already running significantly over budget and has led to a number of political rows.

Today's news will be a huge blow to the city council and the Echo reported that it could add months on to the Lime Street work programme.

The council tweeted last week to say that the work, which involves reducing Lime Street to a single lane of traffic in each direction and creating more public space - had entered into its final phase.

The hope was that the long-running scheme, which has caused plenty of disruption in the city centre, would be completed by mid December.

While its not known exactly what the news of NMCN's collapse will mean for the project, it seems likely to at least push that date back into 2022.

A spokesperson for Liverpool City Council said: “We have been made aware that NMCN may have unfortunately entered into administration.

Liverpool Town Hall (Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)

"Officers have been tasked with securing Lime Street and making it safe, whilst we await formal confirmation. The council will be seeking clarification on the matter to inform our next steps.”

NMCN confirmed today that it would be appointing Grant Thornton as administrator.

In a statement, it said: "NMCN today announces that the board of the company, having taken advice, has concluded that the company is no longer able to continue trading as a going concern.”

“The board of NMCN wishes to thank all of its shareholders, customers and suppliers for their support over the years and particularly Svella and those who had intended to participate in the equity subscription that formed part of the Proposed Transaction, which has had to be cancelled.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.