Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Kathryn Lewis

Construction complete on $750k upgrade to path on lake foreshore

The pathway at the Sculpture Garden at Lake Burley Griffin has been reopened to the public. Picture: Karleen Minney

After months of detours for cyclists and pedestrians, a $750,000 upgrade to a footpath at the Lake Burley Griffin foreshore has been completed and is now open to the public.

National Capital Authority chief executive Sally Barnes said the upgrade had made the thoroughfare safer for cyclists and pedestrians, and expected it would increase visitation to the area.

"People were telling us it was a pinch point," she said.

"Cyclists, walkers and runners didn't have a great view of what was coming towards them. While we had no catastrophic accidents, people were nervous the potential was always there."

In an elaborate event on Monday morning, complete with a ribbon cutting, the path was officially reopened to the public.

The path has been widened to four-meters across the length of the Sculpture Garden between Parks Place East and Bowen Place.

Project manager Adam Deutsch said three street lights had been installed after public concerns had been raised over a lack of lighting for the area. A ramp and wider staircase up to the garden had also been included.

Mr Deutsch said interstate suppliers had been the preferred choice to source from supplies of concrete and steel for construction, but local businesses had been chosen instead due to coronavirus restrictions in place mid-year.

"We did have ambitions to get some materials further afield where we've had to use local suppliers," he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.