Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
Sport
Eamon Doggett

Conor McKenna could face lengthy suspension after admitting breaking lockdown rules before testing positive for Covid-19 - report

Conor McKenna could face a long suspension after admitting breaking lockdown rules before becoming the first AFL player to test positive for Covid-19, according to reports in the Australian media.

The Tyrone native spent two weeks in self-isolation after returning to Australia last month, having spent time home in Ireland during the pandemic.

But having tested negative for the virus five times, he tested positive on Saturday prior to Essendon's clash with Melbourne on Sunday, which was due to be McKenna's first game of the year.

The match was been postponed and The Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph in Australia has suggested that McKenna could be severely punished for admitting he broke the rules. 

“Conor McKenna could be suspended for the foreseeable future for sparking the COVID breach that has of course plunged the AFL season into peril again,” Ralph told Fox Footy’s Sunday Ticket.

“Essendon and the AFL and the health department are currently working as we speak to see how many players will be quarantined alongside him.

“The details of his breach have been revealed, he has confirmed that he did attend an open house viewing, his lease was up for his house so he looked at another house. Then he effectively went to visit family and friends, the host parents who effectively bordered him when he came across from Ireland.

“He did that despite the explicit warnings that this was a COVID breach, despite the explicit warnings that Essendon had handed their players after Brandon Zerk-Thatcher was suspended for a COVID breach last week.”

Essendon's Conor McKenna (Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said it is most likely the 24-year-old picked up the virus after returning Down Under from Ireland.

He commented: “All players and staff have been asked to isolate.

“We said we would make all decisions based on medical advice and our priority is the health and safety of our staff, players and the community.

“The club will be closed and cleaned. We will test all players and staff in coming days, with advice from the health department.

“Our concern is with the player and we will provide support around him.”

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell added: “The AFL and Department of Health and Human Services were notified immediately per the protocols. We will continue to work with the DHHS and the chief health officer’s team, as well as the AFL over the coming days to seek further details.

“We are also working with the Department to identify those who they deem to have been in close contact with Conor and isolate them.

“The priority is also to provide our full support for Conor and ensure his health and welfare during this difficult time for him.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.