Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
Sport
William Dunne

Conor McGregor makes generous split-second donation to charity boxing match between Paddy Barnes and Stevo Timothy

UFC superstar Conor McGregor has been praised following a generous split-second donation to a charity boxing match.

Former Irish Olympic boxer Paddy Barnes and Irish social media comedian Stevo Timothy have planned to enter the ring in a wheelchair boxing match and go toe to toe in aid of the Irish Wheelchair Association.

On Sunday afternoon, Stevo Timothy announced on Twitter that the fundraiser's target was increased from €1,000 to €5,000.

McGregor then replied to the tweet: "Haha yes! Love this Stevo and Paddy B! Put me down for €10,000!

"Great stuff lads, for a great cause! Good luck in the boxing match."

Within minutes, the fundraiser's GoFundMe page received a €10,000 donation from an "anonymous" donor.

One Twitter user replied: "The man puts his money where his mouth is."

Another said: "Conor with the €10,000, well done sir!"

A third said: "Love this! Fair play to you Conor!"

A delighted Stevo Timothy took to Twitter again, saying: "What a day!

"Firstly, the most famous sportsman in the world retweets my poster and video, AND then donates ten grand!

"Secondly, I realise I've now raised over 80 grand in a year thanks to all of you!

"Be the good you want to see in the world."

So far, the charity fight between Barnes and Timothy has raised over €12,000.

You can donate here.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.