Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Belfast Live
Belfast Live
Sport
Gareth Fullerton

Conor McGregor comeback confirmed as Notorious announces date and venue

Conor McGregor has announced his UFC return.

The Notorious' comeback fight will take place on January 18 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

"Fight is 12 weeks this Saturday," McGregor said.

"I go into camp from this tour and you will not see me until I go to fight.

"My family motivates and inspires me. I want to show them what hard work can do."

The Irishman does not yet know the identity of his opponent, but said: "I do not give a f***."

McGregor has said he wants to fight the winner of the BMF title between Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal and then to fight again for the Lightweight Championship.

Speaking at a media event on Tuesday, the Dubliner said he plans a much busier 12 months fighting than he’s the past two years.

“For me, I am looking at - I used to fight every couple of weeks before the UFC came, then it was every couple of months," he added.

"“Now the politics of [prize-fighting] got involved and it’s almost if I won and then I go off.

"I do not like that, you can’t be like that in this game.

"I must continue, consistency is another word, you must be consistent.

“I’ve faced very little damage inside the octagon so I’m eager to get going and continue. "

McGregor hasn't fought since his submission defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov on October 6 last year, with his last victory coming almost three years ago.

He said: "If I look at the run I had up to Eddie Alvarez when I won the second world title, it was consecutive bouts.

Conor McGregor announces January 18 UFC comeback fight in Las Vegas (Image: @TheNotoriousMMA)

"Bout, bout, bout, so I went into that Eddie Alvarez fight sharp, aware, fully prepared.

"And what happened that night, one of the greatest performances in any title fight ever in the UFC.

"So that’s what we are looking to continue on in the next time.

"Again, analyse what went wrong in the past, analyse what went right in the past, use it to go forward to the future.”

He expressed his desire to fight the winner of Diaz vs Masvidal after his next bout, then whoever comes out on top in the Tony Ferguson vs Khabib scrap.

On Khabib, McGregor said: "It will happen. I am not waiting around for that man, he is a known pull-out.

"You can run but you cannot hide. He ran out of the press conference in Moscow last week. It is in his nature. Trust me I am coming for him.

"Where is he now in this country? I fly in, he flies out. Typical.

"I am going to go through the entire roster like a chainsaw through butter."

Keep up-to-date with all the very latest news, what's on, sport and everything else in Belfast and beyond with the Belfast Live app.

Only select news that interests you by picking the topics you want to display on the app's homepage. Plus, our enhanced user experience includes live blogs, video, interactive maps and slick picture galleries. Download it now and get involved.

Click here to get it from the App Store or here for Google Play   

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.