Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Sport
Rich Jones

Conor McGregor challenges Mark Wahlberg to fight with Twitter threat

Conor McGregor only announced his sudden retirement on Tuesday - but he's now called out Hollywood star Mark Wahlberg for a fight.

The 30-year-old launched an astonishing Twitter attack at Wahlberg, branding him an "actress" and threatening to "smack him and his four brothers around".

Following his retirement McGregor is keen to own shares in UFC and is determined to beat up Wahlberg to take his cut of the company.

Over 20 A-list celebrities purchased stakes in the company back in 2016 when it was sold to Endeavor, with Wahlberg amongst the group.

Conor McGregor announced his retirement last week (Getty Images)

Conor McGregor hints at shock rematch despite announcing retirement  

"I’ve decided to challenge Hollywood actress Mark Walhberg next," McGregor said on Twitter.

"A fight for all the shares!

"I’ll smack him and his 4 brothers around.

"It wouldn’t be the first crew of brothers I’ve smacked around.

"Check the history books. The UFC history books."

Conor McGregor pictured leaving gym just days after announcing retirement  

The gym-obsessed actor previously said he'd be willing to sell shares to McGregor - but the Irishman now wants a fight to settle the matter.

“Cut the check,” Wahlberg said in 2016. “As a matter of fact, I’ll give him a piece of mine, because you know what, he’s the face of the UFC right now. But also, in business, you gotta cut the check.”

McGregor has continually asked UFC to give him shares in the company but Dana White has insisted it will never happen.

Why Conor McGregor has not officially retired from the UFC  

He's getting even more creative in his approach to try and get his own way by threatening to come out of retirement to try and beat up one of the world's biggest movie stars.

McGregor has not fought since his fourth-round submission defeat to Khabib Numagomedov at UFC 229 last October.

He announced his retirement last week and it remains to be seen whether he intends to stick to his announcement or appear in the Octagon again in the future.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.