Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Health

Congo registers record 15 new Ebola cases in one day

A woman waits next to an ambulance carrying a suspected Ebola patient at an Ebola transit centre in town of Katwa near the Eastern Congolese town of Butembo in the Democratic Republic of Congo, March 25, 2019. Picture taken March 25 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner

GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo (Reuters) - Democratic Republic of Congo on Friday recorded 15 new confirmed cases of Ebola, the biggest one-day rise since the current outbreak was declared last August, the health ministry said.

Coming a day after 14 new cases were confirmed, the number means the outbreak is on track to register one of its highest weekly case totals, despite health officials saying as recently as two weeks ago that it was largely contained and could be stopped by September.

Health workers have brought new tools to the fight against the latest epidemic of the hemorrhagic fever, including a vaccine and several treatments, but community mistrust of first responders and militia violence have set back the campaign.

A health worker sprays disinfectant near a suspected Ebola patient holding a baby at an Ebola treatment centre in the Eastern Congolese town of Butembo in the Democratic Republic of Congo, March 27, 2019. Picture taken March 27, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner

Five Ebola centers have been attacked since last month, sometimes by armed assailants. The violence led French medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) to suspend its activities at the epicenter of the outbreak last month.

The current outbreak of the virus, which causes severe vomiting, diarrhea and bleeding, is the second largest in history behind the 2013-16 West African epidemic that killed more than 11,000 people.

Congo's health ministry said that as of Friday the outbreak was believed to have killed 660 people and infected 399 more.

Health workers carry the coffin of a man who died of at an Ebola treatment centre in the Eastern Congolese town of Butembo in the Democratic Republic of Congo, March 26, 2019. Picture taken March 26, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner

(Reporting By Fiston Mahamba; Writing by Aaron Ross; Editing by Gareth Jones)

Health workers treat an Ebola patient inside the red zone of an Ebola treatment centre in the Eastern Congolese town of Butembo in the Democratic Republic of Congo, March 28, 2019. Picture taken March 28, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner
Red Cross workers carry the coffin of a woman who died of Ebola to be buried at a cemetery in the Eastern Congolese town of Butembo in the Democratic Republic of Congo, March 28, 2019.Picture taken March 28, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner
Health workers carry a newly admitted confirmed Ebola patient into the Red zone of the Ebola treatment centre in the Eastern Congolese town of Butembo in the Democratic Republic of Congo, March 28, 2019. Picture taken March 28, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.