Oct. 07--St. Charles is poised to approve video gambling at its next City Council meeting after another long committee meeting Monday night in which both sides made their plea.
Aldermen voted 5-4 to advance a measure to allow video gambling at St. Charles bars and restaurants that receive a gaming license from Illinois. Those in favor said they had to take the chance at any revenue the machines would provide considering the city may receive less money from the state in the coming years.
The projections of less revenue from the state "is a game-changing financial issue," said Ald. Dan Stellato, who cast his vote in favor of the measure.
Ald. Jo Krieger, who was absent Monday night, is on the record as a "no," meaning unless an alderman changes his mind, Mayor Ray Rogina will cast the tie-breaking vote. He has said previously he supports video gambling in the city.
On Monday night, aldermen heard again from residents split on the issue: those who think the revenue isn't worth the damage to the city's image and the potential social problems associated with gambling, and business owners who say that adding gaming will help them stay afloat. Both sides brought signed petitions they presented as evidence of what the residents of St. Charles want.
Chuck McGrath, who moved to St. Charles in 2001 to raise his family, said video gambling doesn't fit with St. Charles' family-friendly atmosphere.
"It cheapens St. Charles," he said.
Guy and Elizabeth Bellaver said they hadn't spoken out about the issue because they thought it was "inconceivable" that St. Charles would allow it.
Bob Karas, who owns Rookies in St. Charles, said that seven of his nine restaurants have video gambling and that he has not had problems.
"I cannot believe a town like St. Charles could not manage it," he said.
Ald. Rita Payleitner, who has been the most vocal opponent on the council, said she tried to appeal to her colleagues' hearts on the issue and then to their brains.
"By moving forward, we're just not saying that St. Charles is No. 1 for families," she said, referring to a distinction the city received from Family Circle. "This breaks my heart."
Although, she also said the city shouldn't trust that it will ever see the proceeds from the state as promised, considering its financial situation.
Ald. Steve Gaugel also said he doesn't trust the state to deliver.
"The state of Illinois has proven time and time again they'll change the rules and walk away," Gaugel said.
Aldermen have asked staff to include certain provisions in the ordinance allowing gaming: that outside signage advertising video gambling will be restricted and that there is an automatic sunset clause in three years. The council can take up the issue again then after seeing how it has worked, they said.
The final vote is scheduled for the next regular city council meeting Oct. 19. Aldermen voting in favor of the ordinance include Ald. Todd Bancroft, Ald. Dan Stellato, Ald. Bill Turner, Ald. Ed Bessner and Ald. Art Lemke. Voting no were Ald. Ron Silkaitis, Ald. Rita Payleitner, Ald. Maureen Lewis and Ald. Steve Gaugel.
Alexa Aguilar is a freelance reporter for the Chicago Tribune.
TribLocalTips@tribpub.com